Nature & Wildlife Thread

B

Burd

I have an awesome avian vet, I have a parrot, they only charged me $23. He was in such pain he couldn't fly, I put a block of wood in the corner with padding on, he actually sat on it and hung his broken leg down to take his weight off it. Lol
My daughter colored his 2 with tail feathers red with a sharpie, they summer in Canada, it you saw a junco with red tail feathers, it was him. I released him just before they all left, he actually got back with his female. I saw this pair at my feeder for weeks before they took off.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Burd

The mouse, if you notice the line in his fur, he was in a garbage can, I was placing a cabinet I tore out in the can, as I Slid the pc's in he started screaming. Lol
He had one PC on him I guess. He ran off, so I guess he was ok.
The squirrel she's from my last house, she came daily for 14 years, I medicated her 3 times in her life, lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A nice autumn walk at a local park today. Every time I visit this park I think about what this land could've been if it wasn't mainly mowed lawn and a golf course. It's a semi-beautiful park ruined by poor design. This could've been an amazing woodland to hike and something that isn't seen anywhere else in the area. The park has nice hills, colorful trees, and the scenic, shallow river. Salmon were seen swimming up it today.

IMG_6940 copy1.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have an awesome avian vet, I have a parrot.
I have a parrot too, it's not easy to find a vet for birds, let alone one that won't charge you an arm and a leg
I would love to see your parrot, maybe you could post a pic in the "non human friends" thread?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I did two nights of camping earlier this week. The weather was warm but windy. Considerably better weather than some trips I've gone on this time of year.

Scuppernong Prairie at sunset. The Scuppernong prairie is the largest wet prairie east of the Mississippi River, but this particular part of the prairie is actually known as a "sand prairie" because it's dry and sandy. In fact, this area was once a native american campsite, used because of its dry ground and close proximity to fresh spring water. I've heard that arrowheads have been found here on more than one occasion.

IMG_6655 copy.jpg

The spring water flows into and starts the Scuppernong River.
IMG_6718 copy1.jpg

IMG_6738 copy1.jpg

IMG_6690 copy1.jpg

IMG_6735 copy.jpg

This time of year, snakes can be frequently seen. After cool nights, they warm up in the warm sun. I saw 8 snakes of three different species. Sadly, I also found four dead snakes on a roadway. They warm up on the road and don't stand a chance.

Garter snakes are the most common snakes in the area, or at least the most commonly seen.
IMG_6749 copy.jpg

I had been really hoping to find a Red-bellied snake. I've caught them for photos here in the past, but they're hard to find. They'll sit right on the trail, but they're so tiny that it's hard to see them, even if they move. Sometimes they won't move and it's nearly impossible to see them with all the leaves and sticks on the ground this time of year. I saw three during my time there. All were roughly 5" long. I've seen them as small as 2" and as large as 8", and they can only get as long as 10". As you can see, the red-bellied snakes have red or orange bellies. Such a cool tiny snake specie that most people don't know about, and if you see it in the wild, you'd have no idea how colorful it is unless you pick it up.

"Habitats include boreal forests, sphagnum bogs, and northern and southern hardwood forests and adjacent fields. Red-bellied snakes eat slugs, earthworms and beetle larvae. This species is often seen in large numbers on warm sunny days in September or October basking on back roads and bicycle trails."

IMG_6797 copy.jpg

The third specie of snake I saw was a Dekay's Brown snake. I've only seen this specie once before, and not in this area, so now I know this specie exists in the Scuppernong Prairie. This is another small specie of snake, only getting as long as 8 to 15 inches. This one was probably around 8 inches. This snake was found in State Natural Area 128, also known as Ottawa Lake Fen.

IMG_6773 copy.jpg

Ottawa Lake Fen is a habitat within a habitat.

"An unusually large number of wetland and aquatic plant communities occur within the site including submergent and emergent aquatics, southern sedge meadow, and shrub carr. The extensive fen-like marl flats are dominated by spike rushes along with pitcher plants and gentians. The natural area is also rich in animal life including amphibians, reptiles, clams, and snails. Wading birds and waterfowl frequent the shallows. Birds include green heron, blue-winged warbler, yellow warbler, and willow flycatcher."

The fen's surrounding area has been recently cleared of invasive buckthorn to reveal an amazing open-woodland with a spring-fed stream flowing through it. Unfortunately, it's already becoming clear that buckthorn is continuing to regrow and will likely ruin the progress made in just a few years if not taken care of. It's unlikely that buckthorn will ever be completely removed. It spreads with the help of birds who eat the berries. The northwest side of the fen has many tamarack trees, which aren't commonly seen this far south in Wisconsin.
IMG_6774 copy1.jpg

Two tenting campsites have a great view of part of the fen, including the small lake within it.
IMG_6779 copy1.jpg

Lastly is this Common Buckeye. Less common in Wisconsin than other parts of the country, but not uncommon, either. I'm not sure we have any other butterfly specie that has more colors than this. Red, orange, yellow, blue, purple, pink, brown, and black. Not to mention, various shades of said colors. Mother nature is the best artist.
IMG_6785 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't seen a Robin in weeks, I think they already migrated

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Come to think of it even here where it has not been that cold I have not seen any Robins lately either. Lots of Crows, Blue Jays and Woodpeckers tho. Weaned my Hummers off their food so they would head for the warmer climates.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I haven't seen a Robin in weeks, I think they already migrated

They did. At least around here
Three weeks ago I saw them in large groups (10+ robins at a time). That tells me they were migrating. Many birds, even typically solitary birds, will migrate in groups. After about two or three busy days, there hasn't been any since.

We still have Robins that remain here all winter. They survive on berries until spring.

B

Burd

I just made a large Cedar Bird Feeder, it's a permanent one, I need to sink a post, it needs to get in, I see the locals looking for food everyday. The Juncos are back, I wonder if the one I saved made it back? and the variety of sparrows w/ yellow and white on their heads are back for winter. Even the squirrels are coming around now. I made them their own feeder from bullet proof plexi. Lol I'll post pics when the new feeder is in. Still needs shakes on the roof.
I also saw the birdbath was frozen today, tomorrow I'll put the heater in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question