Nature & Wildlife Thread

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Ah I see the pots there now buried in the ground. Thought they had some new kind of hardy palm back there. I have one called Chinese Windmill Palm and it is hardy here but we don't get as cold as back there. It did make it through a few days of -6 temps many years ago when it was very small but I covered it w/a sheet to try and protect it somewhat. I like the look of that recreational trail by the water up there. Would be nice to meander through on a bicycle if they allow them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
You do put some miles on jb
Not nearly as much as I'd like to. I certainly have no excuse since I live next to a wooded park with a trail. Only been back there once since spring. They're supposed to be seeding a prairie in an old farm field about now so I'll have to get back there soon and see if they've done it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
20181112_152758.jpg
I have not seen the woods look this good in a few years. In some areas where normally you would only see a trickle of water have become small streams, and new growth is evident all over the forest floor,
20181112_153409.jpg
20181112_155033.jpg
20181112_153420.jpg
especially in areas where a lot of trees have died or come down in past storms.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
The first snowfall that sticks is always the best one every year, I know I want my boot prints to be first ones out on trails, it makes the hike special, as fresh snow eliminates all the evidence of other people, makes the hike seem more natural somehow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Enjoy the Winter Wonderland pictures @JBtheExplorer
Who is supposed to seed the field?
A local non-profit organization that does a lot of restoration work in the area is overseeing the project, and Tallgrass Restoration Services is doing the site prep and seeding. Site preparations were supposed to begin in late summer and seeding in fall. All money was secured and everything was ready to go. Last I heard, they were doing a pollinator survey in the field in late August. Since then, there have been no online updates. I've been hoping that once I finally hiked over there it'd be seeded and set for winter, but when I got to the field yesterday, it was the same old weedy field. Given that it's so late into fall and we've reached the snowy season, I'm not sure they can get that work done anymore this year, which will push the entire project to next autumn. I was looking forward to seeing a first-year prairie begin to grow next spring.

Another project being done in town that I've been waiting for, the completion of the Pike River Pathway, is also behind schedule due to weather. Once that's completed, I'll have a new stretch of recreational path to explore. It follows the river it's named after, and I believe they've created a few new ponds as well, to help reduce flooding. I'm looking forward to being able to check that out.

Reactions: j.w
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Thank you for sharing the beautiful winter scenery @JBtheExplorer ! It gives me something to enjoy until we can once again pull our snowshoes from the closet for Winter travels elsewhere!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
The first snowfall that sticks is always the best one every year, I know I want my boot prints to be first ones out on trails, it makes the hike special, as fresh snow eliminates all the evidence of other people, makes the hike seem more natural somehow.
I know exactly what you mean @Tara !

I get the most overwhelming sense of peace out in a wintery landscape with nobody around... Well, maybe having one person along...the hubby!
GTNP.jpg Ours were the only snowshoe prints on this day in Grand Teton N.P. The off season, before Yellowstone opens for over-snow traffic, and before trail grooming begins.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
I love seeing pictures of Yellowstone, we hope to go there in two years but I doubt it will be in winter. @Somethin' Fishy you are spot on, it is peaceful, a perfect feel good moment.
@Tara - I hope that everything works out so that you can get to Yellowstone. It is a MUST SEE, and worth every effort in going. We've been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton four times in the past 8 years. Twice we traveled cross country and stayed in our own camper, both times in the Fall, and during the last week or so of facilities being open. We enjoy that time because there's less people. (I don't think I could stand the Summer crowds!) We did a Winter tour in Yellowstone where we stayed at Snow Lodge and Mammoth Hot Springs, and snowmobiled. It was outstanding, with the exception of an idiot snowmobile guide, but it got us hooked on Winter in the parks (and we got to see wolves!). So when we did our second Winter trip we flew into and stayed in Jackson, bringing our own gear and doing our own thing. We absolutely love it, and plan to visit in Winter again; maybe next year.

Reaction score
@JBtheExplorer I just saw your kayak vs canoe post - I'm with you on the kayak. I've done both and find kayaking to be much easier to manage - maybe it's my age, but I only wanna work so hard! I can kayak for hours without ever feeling like I'm wearing out.

Lovely photos everyone! There's so much beauty in the world, even where others may see just dead leaves or snow covered fields.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
I've been doing a ton of exploring, but all from my own home. :)

This is a fun game. The level of detail is amazing. Hundreds of animals species, tons of plant species, and the environment is amazing! The perfect game for someone like me.

rdr.jpg

Ask a Question