Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Last month, I got to see a bird I've been hoping to see for a long time, an American Kestrel. What a fantastic bird of prey!
View attachment 117233

A couple days ago, I went to a nearby park and hiked the trails and paved pathway. We're past peak autumn color, but it still looks good.
View attachment 117234
View attachment 117235
View attachment 117236

The park has had some issues with erosion along the river. They recently got a $500,000 grant to fix some of those issues, add a small wetland restoration, and improve water quality. They also added dozens, if not hundreds of small trees earlier this year. This area is part of the work they've been doing. The boardwalk was part of a separate project that connects the park to a recreational path in the area.
View attachment 117237
We have a lot of that kind of environmental remediation going on around here.
I wish the county would learn to adapt rather than try to control mother nature.

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
We have a lot of that kind of environmental remediation going on around here.
I wish the county would learn to adapt rather than try to control mother nature.
I have to agree Mitch if you look at the remediation they made the stream bed curved where it would appear pretty obvious that mother nature wanted the stream to go straight removing the bends. Looking where the bends almost change direction they stopped the rock if they get the rains i'll bet mother nature will give a few lessons again.

A

Advertising

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
@GBBUDD guess your cats know better than to mess w/Flower View attachment 117071
Be careful at night when calling "here kitty, kitty" as you may get a surprise!
Not my cats JW . that photo is from a town gazebo that happens to have at my last count was 35 cats people come to feed the cats regularly thus the skunk wild animals will always take a free hand out.

Reactions: j.w
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
We've had a "temporary bridge" in place for 4 years that gets washed out every year along with those same boulder barriers for the stream curves.
This past year the county is putting in a "super bridge" that is supposed to withstand the June floods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
We've had a "temporary bridge" in place for 4 years that gets washed out every year along with those same boulder barriers for the stream curves.
This past year the county is putting in a "super bridge" that is supposed to withstand the June floods.
Sounds like a different location might be in order.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Thank you @Somethin' Fishy , I took my son driving all over Massachusetts this weekend, spent more time just looking and gazing at the scenery than any real hiking, it's hard not to this time of year. The weather was perfect, not too hot or cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Yesterday at work I found a bird in need of a helping hand. I suspect a spinal injury. It lasted until just as I was about to make a post about it, then it died. I frequently take on injured animals to help, I’m not impressed with the local fish and game folks, they don’t call back. I’ve had to handle all kinds of birds, even Mississippi kites, that one came from my sister with a broken wing.

Attachments

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
You tried @JamieB but sorry it didn't make it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
I’m not impressed with the local fish and game folks
Here in WI, we have the WI humane society that takes in injured wildlife. Maybe you have something similar around you.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
In July, I went canoeing on the Root River and took a few shots. I also went kayaking on the river later in the summer, with no camera. Rented a kayak at the nature center for a couple hours. I had never been kayaking before, so I was interested in trying it out. It was great. I'd definitely like to replace the canoe with a kayak someday.
IMG_9818 copy.jpg

IMG_9826 copy.jpg

IMG_9847 copy1.jpg

Here's a recreation path that boarders the new Foxconn land. This was right before construction got too insane to go anywhere near that area. Probably wont see this path again for a long time. Curious about how it'll look the next time I'm there. It seems there may be new ponds added as part of the construction.
IMG_9891 copy.jpg

The Pike River Pathway
IMG_1069 copy.jpg

Lake Michigan and shoreline habitat photos
IMG_2689 copy.jpg

IMG_2707 copy.jpg

IMG_2723 copy.jpg

Tipi at Hawthorn Hollow Nature Sanctuary
IMG_3332 copy.jpg

Some shots from the beach.
IMG_3976 copy.jpg

IMG_3987 copy.jpg

IMG_3994 copy.jpg

IMG_4007 copy.jpg

Heron in the Pike River.
IMG_4444 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
Nice photo's and wondering what kind of Palm trees those are? Are they on Lake Michigan? I thought it got too cold there for those . I see our lovely Great Blue friend standing there patiently waiting for his meal.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Nice photo's and wondering what kind of Palm trees those are? Are they on Lake Michigan? I thought it got too cold there for those . I see our lovely Great Blue friend standing there patiently waiting for his meal.
Yes, they're at the beach on Lake Michigan. There's a company in the area that rents and sells them. They're all potted. Since the trees won't survive winter, the company also provides winter storage. They put about ten of them near a concession stand for about four months each year.

Reactions: j.w
A

Advertising

Ask a Question