Advertisements

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Those are beautiful @JBtheExplorer ! I've never seen those!
Keep an eye out. It's common belief that European Goldfinches came from the Chicago area, likely escaped or possibly intentionally released by a breeder in the area. Now they can be found in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio, from what I've heard. I've been seeing them rarely since 2009. Typically once or twice a year. It was quite a sight seeing eight of them yesterday. Only four at a time today, but they were here a few times.

I love seeing them, they're easily my favorite non-native bird, but I do worry on what impact they'll have as their population rises.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get a visit almost every night, they eat the dead bees in front of the hives. I was trying to catch a ground hog living under our shed, instead picked up a opossum. Let him/her go. Now I just ignore the ground hogs, let them live here. Get rid of one and three show up.

Burd

Pond Scum
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I have the same. An old ground hog living under my shed. I just leave her there. A skunk could move in there. Lol.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like skunks as long as they stay in the woods. They very nicely dig up the ground yellow jacket nests and eat what they can reach. Saved me a few times, I see a new hole and stop mowing, lots of times out come more yellow jackets. At night I take care of that nest. Hate those things.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never even see a skunk around here but I know they are cuz once in a great while when I'm out walking or riding I smell one.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question