Need a new watefall pump...

Chez

Reaction score
I have a waterfall with a 150 gallon basin, that I really like to think of as my small pond. I'm much more into the plants and goldfish than the waterfall, but I use the waterfall in my photography portrait business, because it makes for a cool background for high school seniors.

We had this waterfall for about 5 years, and I have gone through two Little Giant pumps and one SAVIO Water Master 5000. All submersible pumps. I'm wondering if I am just not getting the right brand or should go to an external pump. The SAVIO said it was 5000 gph and that produce a nice flow. I only use the waterfall for 2-3 hours a week and during the summer months it is not used at all. I have a tetra pump and filter box that runs 24/7 and also an air pump that is on all the time too. You can see them in the photos.

I was looking at this pump, the Reeflo Azure Hybrid 4500/6000 gph pump http://www.azponds.com/flowchart/Blue_Hybrid_specs.jpg because if I do an external pump, I will need to add about 6-8' more tubing to get the water out of the pond to the pump and back for the fountain. This pump sounds like it will pump an extra 1000 gph compared to the SAVIO pump. I would also have a priming pot before the water enters the pump.

My question is that I'm really a newb and don't want to keep making mistakes with selecting the right pump. Any advice on submersible vs external or gph that you think I need, or what brand I should get would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - The waterfall is about 4' high and goes back about 5" so I am guessing that there is about 10' of 1 1/2" pipe that the water is traveling with the submersible pumps.

Attachments

• pond-001.jpg
    pond-001.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 242
  • pond-002.jpg
    pond-002.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 257
  • pond-003.jpg
    pond-003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 315
  • pond-004.jpg
    pond-004.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 312

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a cheap pump from harbor freight it is 6 years old works great cost me 22 dollar and I have sense bought 2 more from them around same price and they are over 3 years old no problems but also bought there warranty for 5 dollars .1 burned out water got to low but they did not care ,they just sent me new one .Told me to take the old one and throw it away .I use it for parts

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
this is the pump I bought and the parts that came with it great for the price burns out cheap to replace 1266 gph

Attachments

• pond pump 001.jpg
    pond pump 001.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 278

Chez

Reaction score
Thanks, both look like great pumps, but I'm need to replace something that was 5000 gph, so I need something bigger.

I also see that I posted this in the wrong section, so I'm going to repost in the Pond Construction & Equipment section. If a moderator wants to remove this thread, that would be great. Sorry!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Contact dodad he sales pumps and other stuff, may be able help you select the one that will work for you and give you a good price

Ask a Question