Need advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I haven't had too much stuff at the bottom. I have the skimmer for floating debris and I net the pond for leaves in the fall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What about the stuff the settles at the bottom

If your pond has a skimmer you'll find very little settles at the bottom of the pond. Anything that does will get broken down or can be scooped out with a net if it's large.

Our pump is submersible, but you can use an external pump if you choose. @addy1 does - she can tell you more about that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
For the little bit of stuff that does settle at the bottom, getting it out with a skimmer net is actually pretty fun. For me AND the fish! They love it when the crud gets stirred up!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pump is submersible, but you can use an external pump if you choose. @addy1 does - she can tell you more about that.
I only use external pumps (not counting my small hot tub pond) just my preference. It does mean I need to pull it in the winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You should have two nets.

I use the same net for skimming and scooping. We did buy a pool net after the first couple of years when the "pond" nets we bought from the pond stores would fall apart from being left out in the sun in a few months time. This one has been outdoors year round for 6 years and is still in perfect condition. Ours came with two different style nets, but the second one is still in the box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You should have two nets. One like a skimmer for a swimming pool and the other like this for getting the leaves off the bottom.

That is exactly what I use.
I have a pool, so I have two of those bag type nets. One for the pond and one for the pool. I use a really long telescoping pole for both.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a pool leaf net, been using it for 9 years, store it outside, just now has a rip in it. Still using though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here's the one I made from an old net frame.
It's scoops and skims. The rim comes off and on so you can replace the screen w/new stuff if needed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@j.w - you are an innovator!

@addy1 - that's the one we have, too. So much better than what the pond stores sell - I told our local store they should be ashamed for selling the cheap ones to the unsuspecting newbies. And they were the same price as a decent pool net.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While i am not apposed to bottom drains and i have installed two in my pond there is one major disadvantage to them in cold climates. in the winter time you want an area at the bottom of your pond where the water is primarily still and the temp will stay relatively the same . around 34 degrees. the bottom drain pulls in so much water it will not allow for this area for the fish to be in over the winter i had to shut down the pond. add an air bladder and kept a pump running in the deep bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're building it from scratch its not a bad I idea to put a bottom drain in. The best solution for a bottom drain is you put an air diffuser over the top of the drain to keep debris from getting in or sucking in the small fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you're building it from scratch its not a bad I idea to put a bottom drain in. The best solution for a bottom drain is you put an air diffuser over the top of the drain to keep debris from getting in or sucking in the small fish
I installed such a drain and air diffuser I never use the air,
can't see the fish and the o2 just instant needed at this point.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No need for a drain just a really good skimmer and a good net but I have found it very little will get past the skimmer in my pond. I also use good spring and fall bacteria from micro lift that breaks down anything that should fall to the bottom and eliminates it.

Ask a Question