Need help, exlarge pond with green water

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Is it a clue or a coincidence that 2 years in a row it was clear in the spring until a big rain and then turned green? It makes me wonder if the rain is washing in fertilizer from plantings or lawn or pet/animal waste.

Pictures would be a worth a thousand words. I've opened them in Paint then resized to 800x600 and saved as a new file name "xxxxx-800x600.jpg" and uploaded that one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi there, I have asked my husband the same thing. He said he hasn't put anything past the mid mark on our back yard and when he did he put a pre-emerge with blue dye, he said if he did, the fish would be floating. With the rain, it doesn't rain that much here and we have had a crazy year, lots of rain! I am still trying with the pictures and the dogs don't poo near the pond! Now, I do have many bushes and a few trees right by it that are a pain in my back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I put pictures up last night but a storm come through and I lost internet so I will put them back on. Anyway, I woke up this morning thinking about my pond, the pictures and all of the advice... and then it hit me.......My husband put round up with blue dye around my pond... probably thinking it wouldn't hurt a thing, I can't believe I didn't even notice. He said anything he did he did in March so it make sense. I'm just sick about it. Poor fish, iv'e been adding chemicals in there, the time and money, not to mention what my fish have to live in. Is there anything I can do? Do I treat it or do I have to let it run its course? Thanks for the help, you are all so knowledgeable. I do know I will have to deal with the man running around my pond with a sprayer in his hand causing havoc. I must say we live in the country and it is hard keeping up with everything so maybe I'll give him a pass just this one time, lol. The white one is Walter, he is my favorite!

Attachments

• Untitled_Message (13).zip
    43 KB · Views: 196
  • Untitled_Message (12).zip
    47 KB · Views: 204
  • Untitled_Message (11).zip
    39 KB · Views: 170
  • Untitled_Message (10).zip
    151.1 KB · Views: 194
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not sure how you attached those photos, but they want to download when I click on them. You just need to drag and drop the photo from your desktop right to the box where you type your reply and they will appear in your post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Lisak, hmmm, I took them with my phone, then my son said to email them to myself the to save them on my computer. So I did that, then I clicked on them and it says to download, is that where I messed up?? So I did it and they appeared down at the bottom of my screen in little squares and I dragged them to the box. I must need to figure out how to do that same thing without downloading them? There is so much to learn!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You want them on your computer desktop, however you get them there is fine - emailing to yourself is one way. Then you just drag (hold your cursor on the photo while moving the cursor to this box) and you'll see the "drop files here to upload" message appear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You want them on your computer desktop, however you get them there is fine - emailing to yourself is one way. Then you just drag (hold your cursor on the photo while moving the cursor to this box) and you'll see the "drop files here to upload" message appear.
Ok, my son said he will help me tonight, thank you for the help!! I am thinking that with my pond I have several issues. I think the advice I got was great advice. I need to up my system and keep round up away from it! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Looking forward to seeing those pics, any luck?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
would love to see and drool over a 50k gallon pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
We hear this a lot, somebody has an under-unfiltered pond, it builds up nutrients for two to five years then bam, the algae exploded. Then the same people who sold the under-powdered filter are more than happy to sell you some stuff that doesn't work either.

The answer is almost always the same
1 clean the crud off the bottom, do this over time because there's likely toxic gas in the sludge.
2 increase the biological filtration and have the pond' s volume go through it every 1-2 hours.
3. More plants to use up the nutrients from the biological filtration. Bogs are great for this.
4. Bottom drains and surface skimmers get the crud out of the pond before it's a problem.

It's not really feasible to make a lot of large and frequent water changes on a pond that large.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We hear this a lot, somebody has an under-unfiltered pond, it builds up nutrients for two to five years then bam, the algae exploded. Then the same people who sold the under-powdered filter are more than happy to sell you some stuff that doesn't work either.

The answer is almost always the same
1 clean the crud off the bottom, do this over time because there's likely toxic gas in the sludge.
2 increase the biological filtration and have the pond' s volume go through it every 1-2 hours.
3. More plants to use up the nutrients from the biological filtration. Bogs are great for this.
4. Bottom drains and surface skimmers get the crud out of the pond before it's a problem.

It's not really feasible to make a lot of large and frequent water changes on a pond that large.

Thank you for your response. I don't think there is a way to get the crud off of the bottom. The pond it very large and we are older and it would be a huge job. That is probably going to be a problem isn't it? I bought a much bigger pump and added a couple of filters in the skimmer, had one and added two more. I do want to add a bog, I will find the time to do that. We don't have a bottom drain but do have a surface skimmer, I clean it regularly. Some of my pond plants seem to do really well while others look terrible, I don't know why

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for your response. I don't think there is a way to get the crud off of the bottom. The pond it very large and we are older and it would be a huge job. That is probably going to be a problem isn't it? I bought a much bigger pump and added a couple of filters in the skimmer, had one and added two more. I do want to add a bog, I will find the time to do that. We don't have a bottom drain but do have a surface skimmer, I clean it regularly. Some of my pond plants seem to do really well while others look terrible, I don't know why

I hit the reply before I finished! Anyway, we are thinking about taking out the fish and letting it be a regular pond. AND I have given up on posting pictures, have to hard of a time! Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
I hit the reply before I finished! Anyway, we are thinking about taking out the fish and letting it be a regular pond. AND I have given up on posting pictures, have to hard of a time! Thanks again!
i assume u can achieve clear pond with small tweaking and time as there are mud ponds too which are fairly clear .
adding plants and circulating water thru a stream system within the pond can be one thing u can do

Ask a Question