Need help, exlarge pond with green water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by I'maponder, Jun 18, 2017.

1. I'maponder

Lisak1

You want them on your computer desktop, however you get them there is fine - emailing to yourself is one way. Then you just drag (hold your cursor on the photo while moving the cursor to this box) and you'll see the "drop files here to upload" message appear.

Lisak1, Jun 21, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. I'maponder

I'maponder

Ok, my son said he will help me tonight, thank you for the help!! I am thinking that with my pond I have several issues. I think the advice I got was great advice. I need to up my system and keep round up away from it! Thanks again!

I'maponder, Jun 21, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. I'maponder

moby

Looking forward to seeing those pics, any luck?

moby, Jul 17, 2017
  4. I'maponder

Angel

would love to see and drool over a 50k gallon pond.

Angel, Jul 17, 2017
  5. I'maponder

budgenator

We hear this a lot, somebody has an under-unfiltered pond, it builds up nutrients for two to five years then bam, the algae exploded. Then the same people who sold the under-powdered filter are more than happy to sell you some stuff that doesn't work either.

The answer is almost always the same
    1 clean the crud off the bottom, do this over time because there's likely toxic gas in the sludge.
    2 increase the biological filtration and have the pond' s volume go through it every 1-2 hours.
    3. More plants to use up the nutrients from the biological filtration. Bogs are great for this.
    4. Bottom drains and surface skimmers get the crud out of the pond before it's a problem.

It's not really feasible to make a lot of large and frequent water changes on a pond that large.

budgenator, Jul 19, 2017
  6. I'maponder

I'maponder

Thank you for your response. I don't think there is a way to get the crud off of the bottom. The pond it very large and we are older and it would be a huge job. That is probably going to be a problem isn't it? I bought a much bigger pump and added a couple of filters in the skimmer, had one and added two more. I do want to add a bog, I will find the time to do that. We don't have a bottom drain but do have a surface skimmer, I clean it regularly. Some of my pond plants seem to do really well while others look terrible, I don't know why

I'maponder, Jul 25, 2017
  7. I'maponder

I'maponder

I hit the reply before I finished! Anyway, we are thinking about taking out the fish and letting it be a regular pond. AND I have given up on posting pictures, have to hard of a time! Thanks again!

I'maponder, Jul 25, 2017
  8. I'maponder

sissy sissy

A lot of farm ponds around here use windmills set up with an aeration system .

sissy, Jul 25, 2017
    I'maponder likes this.
  9. I'maponder

Usman

i assume u can achieve clear pond with small tweaking and time as there are mud ponds too which are fairly clear .
    adding plants and circulating water thru a stream system within the pond can be one thing u can do

Usman, Jul 25, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question