Need help finding adapter/reducer/coupling

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am working on getting a pond that the previous owner had installed up and running. Of course all the old equipment needs to be replaced, and I have no experience with this stuff. Anyways, I need to connect a 2" hose to a 1 1/2" hose. For clarification, the inner diameter is 2" and 1 1/2". I am looking for a solid piece that the hose can clamp over and be tightened down with hose clamps. I have searched various pond related sites, but not finding a simple solution. I am getting ready to purchase a UV sterilizer. The tube that runs into the waterfall feature is 2" (inside diameter) and the UV system is the standard 1 1/2". The hose coming from the pump to the filter is 2", the current but broken UV is 2" hose. The waterfall is flowing, but due to the lack of tubing laying around from the previous owner, I had to keep the old UV system in the piping. I am assuming the 1/2" reduction won't make much of a difference.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You need a 2"x 1 1/2" hose barb. Try Tractor Supply or a farm Co-Op type store.
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen those, but everything in the dimensions I need, one side is threaded. Is this typical and I just put whatever end over the threads and tighten the hose down?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Pictures would be helpful. There are lots of types of "tubing" out there, and some that say it's one thing, or even measures one way, may not be true to other types of connectors/fittings. Is it a corrugated tubing? Or FLEX PVC?

Take a section of the hose with you to shop for fittings. You might try different stores.

I have 1-1/2" tubing [the corrugated stuff -- not the greatest], but my connectors to the pump are 2". I have a fitting that's threaded on one end so I can match it with PVC fittings and use reducer-thingys to bring it down to 1-1/2". Then the end that goes in the corrugated tubing is barbed -- tubing doesn't fit very well [too small], but I managed to force it on, then used a clamp (not sure what it's called, but it's a steel band that you tighten) to keep in on. Sometimes you have to be creative and plan out how to fit male & female threaded pieces in there to finish out the connection.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have seen those, but everything in the dimensions I need, one side is threaded. Is this typical and I just put whatever end over the threads and tighten the hose down?
Cut a half inch off each of the two hoses and take these pieces along when you look for fittings. If the 2" will go over the threaded part, by all means go for it! The part I was referring to has two different size hose barbs, no threads.
John

Ask a Question