j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ian that does explain it a lot better. I think some were concerned that we could not say one darn thing out of context in a thread. Maybe if we all try to say something in each post on the subject and then just a little comment to be friendly added if we feel the need. Then we could suggest, hey, lets head over to Chit Chat and continue this there. Sometimes that doesn't feel right but it might be worth a try.

Then there's DrDave.............why do you always sound like you are yelling at us? We just all want to be friendly, not trying to argue, just trying to work it out peacefully and then you throw not nice comments at us............sorry Dave but it's just how I feel :sad:
Maybe I have it all wrong, maybe you are sitting there w/ a nice big smile and sending vibes of love to each one of us in your words but it sure doesn't feel like that to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Even this thread has had some detours. If you cannot intelligently comment on the subject of any given thread, then you should move on to a thread that you can contribute to. or go to the Banter thread and babble there.

This is the whole problem in a nutshell .... He talks to everyone like they are beneath him.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No, it is out of frustration that people are so inconsiderate that they continue to repeat the mistakes of the past. You folks only have to read what you want, we have to read every post. Do you have 40 hours a week to devote to this? If we don't read them all, something could slip by that we are responsible to catch.

Don't judge my years here by posts made in the past few weeks. I waited a long time, maybe too long, to bring this to the Admin's attention.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
hi as a newcomer to this site ive grown additive looking at threads of interest and commenting when fit ONLY BECAUSE ITS A FRIENDLY if it ever gets high brow then i would look else where. Content and information on this forum is first rate with help full moderators together with friendly people with good sence of humour and knowledge. I for one hope it stays the same, as i would willingly help anyone on wood constrution patio, greenhouse,decking even water wheel making......even i learnt alot by making mine......well thats my five pennys worth.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Whiskey, we want to keep it the way it is. Only asking for the few members that continuously do this to try and do their part. AGAIN, asking please!
We have brought this up now a couple of times, Trying to ask in a nice way and the blunt and to the point way. Those of us that are moderators ask for a reason. It's taking away from the the helpfulness of the threads to help members, It's very time consuming and it's frustrating.
We are not asking anyone to stop posting, were not asking for anyone not to chat. We are asking to please help keep the threads on topic and move the chatting to the general chat area. There is a designated appropriate place to general chat. Feel free to start you own personal threads and keep on chatting, we can read or bypass it up and continue to help those that need help, so can anyone else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No, it is out of frustration that people are so inconsiderate that they continue to repeat the mistakes of the past. You folks only have to read what you want, we have to read every post. Do you have 40 hours a week to devote to this? If we don't read them all, something could slip by that we are responsible to catch.

Don't judge my years here by posts made in the past few weeks. I waited a long time, maybe too long, to bring this to the Admin's attention.

If all the mods have to read each thread, than why is it they aren't rude to the posters, just you? And it's been way more than a few weeks.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Okay, here's my two cents' worth. Like some have pointed out, I too signed up because I liked the friendly nature of many of the threads. However, I can fully appreciate Dr. Daves frustration. I was away most of the weekend, and when I did log back on, there was so much new stuff to go through and I noticed that maybe 75% of it had absolutely nothing to do with the original subject. I'll be the first to admit that I too am guilty of this, but when a member fron the UK informs me that his brother lives near me, am I out of line to reply? I mean, this is part of the reason why I joined, and would hate to see this end. There have been times when I had a reply or retort ready to post, then thought perhaps it would be best to forget it! John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can appreciate frustration also, but it's the way you handle it. The other mods I'm sure get frustrated also, but they don't resort to bullying and rudeness to handle the problem. The old saying ... you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Maybe Dr. Dave should work on his bedside manner and try to talk nicer to people, he might get more cooperation.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
All I have to say is I'm glad im not the only one who's being rubbed the wrong way by some of the comments around this forum. Even when I'm not off topic (in my own threads nonetheless) I have felt like I'm being talked to like a child, like I know nothing.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback guys - we're discussing all of this now :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
to me john,the answer is NO ....just FRIENDLY....... :highfive: ........across the pond
Thanks, Whiskey. That's exactly what I love about this forum. And I know only too well that anyone can have an off day now and then, so let'c cut them a little slack! John

Reaction score
Most of us that have used internet forums in the past appreciate the job the mods and admins have to do to keep the forum running. That said, if someone comes on asking a question, gives a little back ground and gets the old "you're doing it wrong, do it my way" line, it makes it seem like folks aren't there to help. It seems most of the time that you can "hear" the sigh when a reply comes back saying "I've said this 100 times, but here you are again". If I wanted a single person's opinion I would go to their website. I wouldn't go to a forum to ask questions. Being open and letting people post MAKES this a good forum. Spam and flame wars should be the only thing (besides forum owner RULES) that are REALLY moderated. I've been participating in "forums" since they came about. I've been working with computers since 1984 (it was a Timex that I built myself). Forums that try to moderate the "banter" of the users are doomed to failure. People will go somewhere else.

Ask a Question