Need help from active members

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'll try and sum up the above posts in general the best I can. If it is a thread you start, it's your thread, take it where you want. If you want to make a thread for the UK members to talk, or you and the other member. We don't care, If it's in general chat, that''s what it's for, we don't care what is talked about in general chat as long as it is kept to a point that it's not offensive such as foul language, bashing another member, nudity that kinds of things. We would like to see as much pond related and gardening subject as we can but frogs, pets, ponds, flowers, all that is great topics and we welcome them all. Now as for answering questions. I for one will apologize if I come across like someone has no idea what they are doing and try and give advice to a complete newbie. I do this for multiple reasons, 1- I worked in the pet industry for several years, I learned to explain fully to people and never assume they know something. 2) I worked where I had to explain in detail things so that everyone knew what exactly what I was going to be doing. From the top man on the platform to the lowest man to the most experience to the least experience, EVERYONE had to know exactly what I was doing and what precautions were going to be taken when I went to do my job. Working with explosives offshore you take no chances! Assumption can be fatal in the type work I did, so it's been drilled into my brain. 3.) once a member has read a post he/she pretty much is done with it, however a new member may actually search for a topic before asking a question, if that is the case I want the new person to get a good explanation just as I want you to get a good answer. So please don't think I'm talking down to anyone, Please look at it like it is and it's not just to help the person that ask, but others as well.
As for moderating, We moderate very conservatively here by request of the members and the admins. I too joined and excepted the task of moderating from the simple fact of a friendly user site. Very little is ever deleted and if it is it is usually a new person that is posting something unapproved such as spam that is.. But, I'm not here to just moderate, as Haro stated, you step away for a weekend or a couple of days and wow it's like you'll never catch up. I try to help as many people as I can on my personal time. Not just read through to moderate. I do this for nothing but the the thank you's and the fact that someone may have a more enjoyable experience with their pond. I too use multiple forums, not only for ponds but for other hobbies as well. This isn't the first one I've moderated but by far one of the friendliest. Ian and Becky have both expressed that that is one of the primary goals is to keep it that way.
Finally I need to openly apologize to Pond Boy, I went back and read my messages and found he had posted a question for me and I overlooked it. I have answered his question to the best capability I could in a PM but I don't want the above post to reflect as being Rude.. I made a mistake and overlooked a moderator question and the above hit me out of the blue because i wasn't sure why is was being directed at me. Once I looked I found out why.
Last but not least, Thank you for the feedback! We are trying to work on the issue and for those of you that give feedback, It's being read and talked about, for those of you reading and would like to add, please do. We are open for suggestions on ways to improve, The site isn't perfect and there are somethings that can be fixed fairly easy, there are somethings as I have found out that just won't work with this software, but it will be looked into and discussed and determined if anything can be done to improve the site or not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, the thread in question, she "was" commenting on the topic.

Than she was accused of running up a post count. I may be wrong, it has been known to happen. :dunno:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it would be nice if people didnt answer questions with posts like, "i dont know" or "i dont use..." just as an example.... someone asking "how to plumb a U.V "....with "I dont use a U.V never have" when they didnt ask if you use one! if you dont use one, and never have, dont reply. let someone answer, whos actually gonna answer the question... Now this was just an example..but it should be for everything from U.V.s and filter media to barley, and beneficial bacteria,and any other question.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've seen this as well. If you don't know and still want to help, point them in the direction of someone that you do feel like can or send a link to a internet site that can give good valuable information or even to a link to a thread here on the site that might help. If "I don't use" is posted then a explantion of why with the pro's and cons and a way that was found that better worked for that individual or pond would be nice to know so that others can determine what best suits their needs.

Ask a Question