sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It can cause problems because the guy half a ile down the road sued the sprayers that did the power towers because all his trout died in his big farm pond .Even farmers that spray herbicides and fertilizers on there fields have to let people know when they are doing it in the county i live because of the problems it is causing to lakes and streams .There is also a statewide law now .Bedford lake and Smith Mountain Lake have had problems and so has the Chesapeake Bay .What they use on the power towers kills 8 and 10 foot trees .I remember posting pics on here how everything was dead and how people that lived near lost trees and animals .They said it was non toxic ,yeh sure .You can buy water tests kits for a well that may give you some idea ,I bought mine at lowes .Or here they allow you to bring a sample and have it tested for free at the cooperative or at the county seat .

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just sharing factual things that I've seen Sissy,as are you. I'm smack in the middle of farm country as are 3 of my neighbors with koi ponds. As for trout,they are a sickly fish to raise I don't doubt that just about any contamination woukd kill a whole pond. Oscars on the other hand are pretty close to roaches for hardiness!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
roaches oh dear :)I am in the middle of farm country also ,cow ,goat,horses and even an ostrich and lama farm .The power towers are a mile from my house .Maybe it also can depend on your filter system cleaning it out fast .I wondered what would happen in the winter when most filters are not running .I think his choice is like said a good water test for every thing and a partial water change .Is it well water or city water also .I would wish this type nightmare on no one :(

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All pesticides and herbicides are toxic to aquatic life. The actual toxicity level is determined first by the chemical used, secondly by the application rate, and thirdly by the amount applied (total area of application). If a neighbor is spraying their Rose bushes it is not likely that enough chemical would reach a pond to cause any ill effects. However, if an entire lawn is being sprayed or all of the shrubbery is being sprayed then care should be taken in protecting a pond. Also wind plays a large role.
I have seen light pesticide/herbicide applications made in close proximity to ponds that did not cause any effects, but I have also seen where a large application was made that killed every Koi in a customer's pond.
Pesticide/herbicide contamination can not be ruled out in the OP's case.

Ask a Question