**Need Help With bad algae**

Reaction score
Hi everyone

We had a small pond put in last year and have 4 fish and a nice collection of plants, the only thing thats wrong is the algae. We have put pond clear put is just leaving the algae at the bottom. we also tried to flood the algae out by overflowing the pond still it does not shift, it is a very fine algae its not stringy. we have a small pump and think it might need a better fillter pump .Can anyone help and recommend a fillter pump and any solutions on the algae problem...

Thanks

Rachael :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My filter was a tote lava rock and activated charcoal in a bag and crushed oyster shells to stabilize the ph and a good test kit and good air pump quilt batting to pick up the fine algae cells .I hope this helps a little .You will also need a good liquid test kit

Attachments

• pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 248
  • pond parts 011.JPG
    pond parts 011.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 320
  • pond parts 015.JPG
    pond parts 015.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 269
  • pond parts 016.JPG
    pond parts 016.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 281
  • pond parts 001.JPG
    pond parts 001.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 263
  • pond parts 020.JPG
    pond parts 020.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
We really need to know the size of your pond and your filtration system. Is this algae growing on surfaces or floating in the water? Generally, a coating of algae on pond surfaces is a healthy situation.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Pictures say a thousand words.

Rachael, if you can, then try to post a picture of the pond with the algae problem. I am afraid your description is too vague and, honestly, the initial impression is that the algae does not sound too bad. It is good to have algae in the pond as long as it is not overtaking the water and if you have good water chemistry.

Also, if possible, share some water test results and I am in particular wanting to know your KH and pH values. You can get your water tested for free by taking a sample to a major pet store or to a local fish store.

With some algae, even after it is killed with a chemical or some other method or even if not killed, then the only choice there is is to use a pond vacuum or some other elbow grease such as using the brush end of a toilet bowl brush to gently scrub it off or some other thingamajig so you can manually remove it.

A filter and pump is only part of it, which only deters specific types of algae, and, depending on the algae, it might not even impact it. Still, it is good to have good pond water circulation and a good pond filter.

Also, be sure to thoroughly read the two threads: 1) Algal blooms; 2) post#36 in Solving the Algae Mystery.

There is really no easy, simple answer.

Algae is the one major aggravation that comes with this hobby. Without it, we'll get too lazy and always day dreaming and drinking too much cerveza while enjoying the ambiance that is created by the fishies in the pond. :)

Algae is to our ponds as the thistle is to our lawns and can be just as much of a pain to manage. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally I would not use an algaecide especially in a smaller pond. When I had trouble with algae in my pond I did lot's and lot's of water changes until I got it under control.

Ask a Question