Need help with first and new pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, this is my first pond building experience and would like to get help. I dug down in the area right next to my patio and found sprinkler pipe(2ft deep) on one end where I want to put water fall.It was installed before I moved in so I had no idea. The pond is small, about 5 ftx 4ftx 3 ft deep.

My question is can I leave the pipe the way it is (by building water fall on top of it) or I need to reroute it?

Thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 197

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would fill that side back to the pipe and since it is not that much you could always dig out a little from another side or go a little deeper or maybe make it a half raised pond .I did mine half raised because of shale and it worked out better for it .You don't have to even build the whole pond up just part of it and dirt that is extra can do a waterfall area

Attachments

• 0323.JPG
    0323.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 204
  • all around 7-15 075.JPG
    all around 7-15 075.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, thanks for your replies. I want to move the pipes away but I have limited space to work with but I still will give it a try.

Now another silly question, if I have 'overdug' the dirt walls. I had to dig more than I wanted to see where the sprinkler pipes go. Can I back fill it and will it still hold its place and for me to put the liner against it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can backfill behind your liner. Just make sure you use dirt that will compact and really tamp it down. Depending on your soil, wetting it as you tamp may also help harden it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine had 20 plus babies the first year.I had people to give them to already.I only had 2 koi and 4 fancy tail and 2 fantails and 2 shubbies in 2500 gallons

Reaction score
Country
United States
Regarding edging stones, I was thinking of getting some flagstones but they are pricey. Any other alternatives or suggestions?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep free is better .I even posted on a local sight here and got lots of calls and picked up rocks ,concrete block and even some retaining wall block that helped a lot with saving money on the rebuild .Amazing what people will give away if you offer to pick it up

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I've relocated the sprinkler pipes, it's time consuming and lots of work but it's done. My next step is to build up side walls and shelves to hide the liners. My next question is how do you hide the power cord of the pump and flexible tubing from the pump to the water fall?

Ask a Question