Need help with pond construction

Reaction score
Good morning everyone.

I would like to start the pond construction today, and don't know where to begin.

This is what i have to work with, 45mil liner (4 years old) the previous owner said it was 8 foot around by 4 foot deep.

The location where i will begin digging is mostly sand, against the North fence, that location gets plenty of sunlight, there are no trees on that side of the yard, was previously a vegetable garden.

I thought i would check with some of you seasoned professionals before i break ground, i am wanting to start today, so i could use as much help as possible with cleaning the old liner and pumps, filters, hoses, media, or would you throw out the media and buy new?

Here is some pictures of what i have to work with. Also could i incorperate any of the two hard shelled ponds into the main pond?

Thanks in advance.
Shawn.

Attachments

• P1010392.JPG
    P1010392.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 278
  • P1010393.JPG
    P1010393.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 276
  • P1010394.JPG
    P1010394.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 217
  • P1010395.JPG
    P1010395.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 270
  • P1010396.JPG
    P1010396.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 287
  • P1010397.JPG
    P1010397.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 276
  • P1010398.JPG
    P1010398.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 214
  • P1010399.JPG
    P1010399.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 273
  • P1010400.JPG
    P1010400.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 234

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hope you kept your pump in water so seals don't dry out .I would just clean it up a little as the stuff will work for now and believe me no matter what you say you will be tweaking and changing things any way .Are you going to use the preforms in your design or just save them for plants .Can't tell how big your yard is but I have stock tanks for plants .In Canada you sure want that 4 feet deep and you may need to invest in a pond heater now that they are off season you can get them cheap

Reaction score
I would make the pond deep and with sides tapered in just a bit. No different ledges or different depths etc. I would take the bigger of the preformed liners and bury it next to the pond in such a way that it would be slightly higher than the actual pond, so that water could be pumped from the pond, and into the bottom of the preformed pond, and then waterfall back into the pond. I would fill the preformed pond with gravel and then plants. When the water got to the top of the preformed pond, it will overflow into the pond. That's your bog filter right there. If the soil is too sandy, you may have to line the sand withblocks or wood before you put the tarp in. If the sand were to collapse, it could ruin the shape of the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The baskets are for plants and do you know gph of the pumps .You can take the covers off and there still may be a label inside

Reaction score
sissy said:
hope you kept your pump in water so seals don't dry out .I would just clean it up a little as the stuff will work for now and believe me no matter what you say you will be tweaking and changing things any way .Are you going to use the preforms in your design or just save them for plants .Can't tell how big your yard is but I have stock tanks for plants .In Canada you sure want that 4 feet deep and you may need to invest in a pond heater now that they are off season you can get them cheap
All the pumps work, and i am for sure going the 4 foot depth. the yard is 166.5 feet deep and 65 feet wide, but, i just want to keep the pond within the area where the garden was, 10 x 20 but i could add more onto the 10 foot side.

Yes, your heater idea is a good one, thanks.
Shawn.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
I would make the pond deep and with sides tapered in just a bit. No different ledges or different depths etc. I would take the bigger of the preformed liners and bury it next to the pond in such a way that it would be slightly higher than the actual pond, so that water could be pumped from the pond, and into the bottom of the preformed pond, and then waterfall back into the pond. I would fill the preformed pond with gravel and then plants. When the water got to the top of the preformed pond, it will overflow into the pond. That's your bog filter right there. If the soil is too sandy, you may have to line the sand withblocks or wood before you put the tarp in. If the sand were to collapse, it could ruin the shape of the pond.
Thanks, for your help diesel, i like the bog idea, i will have to ask you for help with the blocks idea.
Shawn.

Reaction score
sissy said:
The baskets are for plants and do you know gph of the pumps .You can take the covers off and there still may be a label inside
The smaller pump is for ponds up to 800 gallons, and the other pump is for up to 4,000 gallons. not sure what the two filters are, i think one goes in the pond, and the other is for outside of the pond, maybe for a waterfall?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is a prefilter probably for the bigger pump to keep it from getting clogged .Are you sure you want it way out there electrical will cost more plus you have to walk out to view it and if it is close to a patio or deck you can enjoy it more and the sound and sitting and watching the fish is much nicer .Plus the closer it is if anything were to go wrong you will spot it faster .Bog is a good idea but plants need time to grow .You could make a fake bog ,just fill the upper pond with plants in flower pots full of clay kitty litter ,2 for one thats the way my filters are set up .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57239]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:56133]

Reaction score
sissy said:
It is a prefilter probably for the bigger pump to keep it from getting clogged .Are you sure you want it way out there electrical will cost more plus you have to walk out to view it and if it is close to a patio or deck you can enjoy it more and the sound and sitting and watching the fish is much nicer .Plus the closer it is if anything were to go wrong you will spot it faster .Bog is a good idea but plants need time to grow .You could make a fake bog ,just fill the upper pond with plants in flower pots full of clay kitty litter ,2 for one thats the way my filters are set up .
I like your setup Sissy, the clay kitty litter doesn't effect the water? or does it help with some kind of filtration?
Yes my wife and i are positive that is the location we want the pond, i have no problem with running electricity out there.
I know it is hard to tell how the location is when you are unfamilliar with the layout of the yard, and i appreciate your cautions, it could be a big mistake for some people.

From these two pictures you can get a better idea as to why we have decided on this location.
First picture shows from behind where the pond will be, and the second one is from the front of it, actually, i guess it would be right and left side of the pond

You can see that old shed in the back of the yard, that
will be taken away, and i am going to build a victorian bunkie there.
And the 12 x 12 cement slab is where a Sunroom will be, the pond will be located between the Bunkie and the Sunroom.

Attachments

• P1010401.JPG
    P1010401.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 281
  • P1010402.JPG
    P1010402.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 220

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
What a fun project! As a newbie to pond building, my only word of caution is "Don't rush getting your liner in place until you are satisfied with the pond shape and size." I kick myself for not putting in ledges for rocks and not making it larger (already).

Using the preform for a bog is a brilliant idea! It's a great way to filter your pond; add plants (filtration); and interest to your pond without using up your limited rubber lining.

I would also (from experience) make the pond as deep as you can. Four feet is ideal for fish if you plan on wintering them in the pond. Also, it provides stability to water temperatures in the hot summers.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I absolutely LOVE following ponders building progress on the forum. It inspires me to do more!
Tim

Reaction score
cr8tivguy said:
What a fun project! As a newbie to pond building, my only word of caution is "Don't rush getting your liner in place until you are satisfied with the pond shape and size." I kick myself for not putting in ledges for rocks and not making it larger (already).

Using the preform for a bog is a brilliant idea! It's a great way to filter your pond; add plants (filtration); and interest to your pond without using up your limited rubber lining.

I would also (from experience) make the pond as deep as you can. Four feet is ideal for fish if you plan on wintering them in the pond. Also, it provides stability to water temperatures in the hot summers.

Please keep us posted on your progress. I absolutely LOVE following ponders building progress on the forum. It inspires me to do more!
Tim
Thanks Tim.
I will for sure will not rush anything, i just finished a 115 feet of fence yesterday, and it is way to hot to rush anything.
I definitely want to get it right the first time ( digits crossed )
I have been pulling weed for the past hour and a half, getting the spot ready for marking of the layout.
I will certainly post progress pictures, i need this project to be critiqued, so i can lear more of what i am doing wrong, or right :smile:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well that will be a nice spot then with the sun room .Are you planning a waterfall because that would be nice to look out at and since you have great pumps you have a great start .Remember to raise sides up and leave extra liner at the top because with weight of water it will settle and remember an over flow area for the heavy rains and snow fall melt .I just lowered a corner of mine and put a pipe sideways with one of those ground drain caps so fish don't get washed out and I put a shower drain over it so the holes were smaller just in case baby fish were in the pond .I had it go to a catch basin just in case also .Better safe than sorry .My pond is just below my covered front porch and the view of the mountains .Pure clay kitty litter I do give a little dip in water before I put plants in the pond so I don't get a big grey cloud in the water .It helps buffer the water .I also use crushed oyster shells to buffer the ph and keep it stable .save all you dirt for your waterfall build

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forums,Shawn. Looking at your pictures, 2 Laguna Power-Jet pumps, one either 400 or 600 gph, the other 900 gph or larger. One should have two quick-connects on it, an intake and an outlet. The hose from the in-pond filter would attach to the intake, and the outlet would push water to the box filter, which typically sits beside the pond or feeds into a waterfall of some sort. You can add lengths of hose to the two outlets on the box filter to divert water to two different areas. Canada, eh? Windsor area?
John

Reaction score
HARO said:
Welcome to the forums,Shawn. Looking at your pictures, 2 Laguna Power-Jet pumps, one either 400 or 600 gph, the other 900 gph or larger. One should have two quick-connects on it, an intake and an outlet. The hose from the in-pond filter would attach to the intake, and the outlet would push water to the box filter, which typically sits beside the pond or feeds into a waterfall of some sort. You can add lengths of hose to the two outlets on the box filter to divert water to two different areas. Canada, eh? Windsor area?
John
Hi John, smaller pump is indeed a 400 gph http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/powerjetpumps/pjet400.php?link=1401
The larger one is 2,000 gph http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/powerjetpumps/pjet2000.php?link=1401

Not Windsor eh, close tho, Sarnia You?

Ask a Question