Need help

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ray, i did catch the sick one aside, but we have new sick one everyday.

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning JW,

I am sorry i left my phone at work yesterday.

Yes thectest kit sgow PH is 8.4
Chlorine is 0
Alkaline is 180

Yesterday i lift up the current water so it made less current.

This morning found only one dead.
But i saw 3 more not doing well

Whatever i put on the kiddie pool dead faster, sp i decided to leave them in hoping they will recover.

How to reduce the PH?

Thabk you JW and everyone

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update:

I cought two of them that is not doing well and please see the picture. This is the first time i cought with this skin desease

Attachments

• 20190620_082127.jpg
    20190620_082127.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190620_081917.jpg
    20190620_081917.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190620_082338.jpg
    20190620_082338.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 146
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you able to test your pH more than once daily? I would do so and log the readings to get a better picture. How many fish do you have remaining in the pond? Your pH is sort of high but not deadly and I wouldn't add anything to alter it. The alkaline (Carbonate hardness) reading is high, but not dangrous. Best is between 50 to 150 ppm, ideally 100. But again, I would not try to manipulate your water conditions with additives. Yes, a partial water exchange might help. But first get a pH reading. And as mentioned above, use chlorine/chloramine treatment. I like Prime, because really works. I am for doing things slowly. Keep posting and your fellow forum members will help.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'm no disease expert but those fish almost look like something is deteriorating their bodies. How did your ammonia read on the test kit? Ph is not really high like Stephen stated. 150 fish is a lot to add in one day. I would only start w/a couple when starting up a new pond. Then you can also see how they are reacting to the new set up before you put more in there and then only add one or two and so on till things are more established. Your new pond water needs to accumulate good bacteria for the fish to survive and be comfortable. You need to test for other things also:

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Stephen and J W,

My test kit does not include Amonia.
Less stressed today as only 3 dead today yesterday died a lot and i lost count.

Currently about 60 left.

I put the current pipe up so there will be less current.

I will change 10 % of water soon.

On line said add a little venegar to reduce PH?

But as per your advise, i will not do anything for now.

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put in 150 at once, was hoping not to add more from different time that might bring in new desaese. But some how it end up a disaster.

I really appreciate you all for your input.

Ted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I am still pretty convinced they have a disease as they were dying when you got them. I think you should contact livekoiforsale.com which is where you got them from and explain what is happening (the 20 dead on arrival and the rest dying daily). I suspect you are not the only customer with the problem this week from the last shipment. You need to know if the problem is with the fish or the water and contacting livekoiforsale.com will probably give us a big clue as to the original health of the fish. They say the quarantine their fish for 4 weeks after they arrive from Japan. So your fish apparently have been doing a lot of travel to get to your place. I would call them right away and explain the situation and see if anyone else has the problem with the batch that yours came from.

Ray

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think livekoiforsale.com is a third party.
The box they arrived from is Ozark fisheries.

Anyone has experience with Ozark fisheries

Ted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Ozark is the dealer and where you got them from is a distributor. Basically livekoiforsale.com sold them to you so they should know everything about that batch of fish. from the livekoi website here are the contact details.
If you need to get in touch with us please email at:
(e-mail address removed)

Phone: 714-728-1188

Ted

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you very much Ray for the info. It is almost impossible to get someone to answer the phone there.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When receiving shipments of fish regardless of who they are from, I would not go through the normal acclimation procedure. Of slowly adding water to the bag every 15 minutes, for an hour or so. At most would float the bag in the water for a bit to adjust for temp, then release the fish. Really depending on the temp difference, which this time of year can be negligible depending on location you could release them right away.

It is just adding more stress to already stressed fish, sitting in a bag of water with ammonia building up then when you open the bag and off gas the built up CO2 the ammonia becomes more toxic to the fish as the ph rises with the off gassing of CO2. Especially ordering that many fish all usually in one bag, you are going to have some dead ones, so it is the lesser of two evils IMO to let the fish adjust in water that is cleaner (your pond water)than the bag of water they have been sitting in for 24 hrs.

The myriad of issues showing up now could very well be from being severely stressed during shipment, then sitting in the bag water another 2 hrs during the acclimation procedure. This can put them over a tipping point they can’t recover from.

At this point maintaining your water quality is about all you can do, and hope some recover.

Ask a Question