Need help

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've had 4 koi and 1 goldfish for four years and nothing like this has ever happened. This morning 3 of the koi are relentlessly chasing the biggest boy around and will not stop. The goldfish is just watching all this. They chase him from one end of the pond to the other, sometimes almost pushing him out of the water.
Any advice as to what is going on. Should I intervene?
Thank you.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome!:yikesu: It sounds like some spawning going on. That can get rough. Add some mop heads and see if you get some eggs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome janet r to the forum .sounds like you may get babies but also have had my koi eat the babies before they get large enough and then I have found my friends hiding from me because none of them want anymore fish .LOL oh well

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome janetr,

smileywelcome687.gif

you are gonna be a fish parent! I let them spawn, (goldies shubies) let what lives live. More of a natural balance setup. Trying not to get over populated.

Some stick in spawning mops and try to raise them, all depends on where you want to go with this, but babies mean you need a bigger pond if you save a bunch of them..............lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wonder what you are when your fish babies have fish babies of there own ,are we fish grandparents LOL.All it does is make me feel old geeze

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
:fish::fish::fish:Lol I was told how to tell them apart long and lean body male ,chuncky in the middle female .Us women can never win huh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Janet R, Welcome. It depends how many good places there are for the fry to hide and also how easy it is for the fish to find the eggs because they are a delicacy for them. I must have had at least 1000 eggs laid in my pond last year. I got two baby fish out of it with no intervention from me which worked out fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I ended up with a ton of fry making it, but when spring started I only had 4 fish in the pond...............not anymore lol

Ask a Question