Need idea..

Reaction score
My pond is 12by7 and 2.5 deep..The waterfall is pushing the debris(poop,etc) away from the pump and to the side..What I need to do to circulate the debris to the pump?
Green: Waterfall
Black: Pump
Red: Debris(poop,etc)
Blue:Water
View attachment untitled.bmp

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your pump or prefilter should be at opposite end of pond from waterfall so the waterfall pushes the debris to it.your waterfall pump setup would be far more efficient if they were at opposite ends,the long ways.

Reaction score
I don't know your setup, but I'd guess moving the pump to where you want it is easier than moving the debris.

Other ideas, but you might still need to move the pump:

You could direct some output from the pump to be parallel with the pond side to create a circular motion. Takes very little water output. You can test with a hose to find the right position, or if it's even possible.

Or you could build a catch basin for the falls.

CatchBasin.jpg

In the picture the water is directed outward, but it can be directed out the side to create a circular motion. Downside is the water level has to be lowered. It is possible to pre-build the base, lower the water some, lower the base onto foam as a seal, and build the rest. You don't have to move the fish at least. The up side is all the pump's output is used to direct flow. As a bonus it keep the pond surface flat for better viewing and contains DOC foam keeping the surface clean and the foam can be scooped out (free protein skimmer).
koibasin.jpg

More pictures.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
when you locate a pump directly under your waterfall, as your pic shows the water falls right back to it and a large portion of the water may be drawn right back into the pump. in eccense recirculating much of the same water over and over. if the water is drawn in from the opposite and the pump is drawing in and the waterfall,is pushing the water towards it. effectively circulating the ponds full water volume. myself i dont get foam from my waterfall.except during and right after the spawns..foam is created by excessive DOCs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are foam less too! love my bog, sure glad that stuff is a pain to get rid of.

Reaction score
Foam is never a problem when you don't have it, and a pond can go years without it, even a lifetime. But for those who do, it isn't fun. Simple to fix when designing a pond, less so later. The question when designing a pond is whether you feel lucky or not, as Clint Eastwood would say.

Ask a Question