Need some input before I start building my DIY Filter

Reaction score
No i buy dollar store laundry bags and buy lava rock at lowes .They sell mesh bags there 3 for a dollar and I fill them with the lava rock so they are easier to manage if I have to do anything with the filter .Just pull each bag out .Easier to clean or replace lava rock if I have too .
Good idea

Reaction score
This guy has some really neat ideas and he show step by step in this video how to make one yourself and how it is supposed to work. Worth watching because even if you don't use his plans you will learn a few things about how they are supposed to work in general:

He has his filling from the top. Isnt it best to fill from the bottom?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That down flow filter looks like it would work until it filled with muck
Then you would have to pull it apart to clean it

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
He has his filling from the top. Isnt it best to fill from the bottom?
Yes you would want a bottom fill ideally but that is why I said I didn't build this particular filter and you might not build his design either but, I like some of the tricks he uses during construction. Any knowledge is good knowledge when applied in due course and time ;)

Reaction score
Ok, Started building. Pictures will come later. For filter media i got:
Filter Pad
Lava Rock
Pee Gravel

Barrell will fill from the bottom. The bottom 6 inches will be nothing but the water so it can swirl. My thought on media placement from the bottom up is: Filter pad, Lava rock, filter pad, pee gravel to top it off. Lava rock and pea gravel will be in laundry bags for easy removal if needed.

Any suggestions?

Others i have seen have lava rock first on the bottom but i am concerned that will clog up too fast. And if i think about my aquarium canister filter and it has Filter pad on the bottom that water goes thru first.

Basing my design some what like this minus airstone,air pump inlet
bio_filter.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
By the way, if you ever want or need to build a really good DIY UV filter let me know because I built the one in my pond and it works much better than the one I had bought that was a uv with a pump all in one unit. I have pictures and schematics with step by step instructions for it. My water has remained almost crystal clear after building and installing the custom filter about 8 months ago.
View attachment 84780

Reaction score
I built my filter!!!

I have lava rocks in the filter..Forgot to get a picture of that.

20150816_114906.jpg 20150816_114941.jpg 20150816_114949.jpg 20150816_114957.jpg 20150816_141709.jpg 20150816_114949.jpg 20150816_141709.jpg 20150816_144122.jpg 20150816_142401.jpg 20150816_142951.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
By the way, if you ever want or need to build a really good DIY UV filter let me know because I built the one in my pond and it works much better than the one I had bought that was a uv with a pump all in one unit. I have pictures and schematics with step by step instructions for it. My water has remained almost crystal clear after building and installing the custom filter about 8 months ago.
View attachment 84780
View attachment 84780

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
Here is a simple to build DIY filter that looks pretty effective:
He has a link to his website with more in depth build instructions.

Ask a Question