need some suggestions.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
So we are still in the process of re-doing our small pond. We decided to return the pressurized filter and go with a DIY filter that we made from a rubbermaid storage container. We also added a small preformed connecting pool. And that's one of my questions to you. I need some suggestions on how to set this up. Right now the preform is bare with just a rock holding an inlet tube in place so that we get the water fall effect going back into the pond. We discussed getting either some more stones and or bricks to build a semi walll around it and then I was thinking next spring I would get some type of bog plant to put in it. I thought it would be a perfect place for the frogs when they come back in the spring. For now I would just like to get some suggestions so that we have a plan in place.

The next question is about the DIY filter. It's really big and bulky looking. I'm just looking for some suggestions on how to make it look nicer. Maybe have longer tubing so that it can sit farther away from the pond? Put something around it?

Here are a few photos so you can get an idea of what we have

Reaction score
Country
United States
We did talk about burying it partially in the ground. That might be the way to go but probably not til the spring.

The box has a pvc pipe that runs down the middle and t's off in two directions at the bottom with a plastic basket covering the openings so not to block water flow. Then it's stuffed with scrubbie pads, ceramic rings, scouring pads, a big carbon pad and filter pad (left over from old filter) and then on top of all that I put a plastic grid (used for needle point) with 2 flat stones holding everything down ( for extra measure) don't want the outlet holes getting blocked.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It looked like it could hide behind the low fence on the right side, too me

Reaction score
Country
United States
The other side of the white fence is my back yard. We put the little fence around the pond to keep our dogs out of the pond. If I put the box out there the puppy will either chew it or get on top of it. Don't think that's an option.

Keep the suggestions coming!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Putting the filter behind or beside the upper pond would help to partially hide it. Also, let the filter return run into the upper rather than lower pond. This will give you more water flowing over the waterfall. When you build up around the upper pond, you can include the filter. Two birds with one stone!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've a feeling that you have made a mistake using this type of plastic as it soon becomes rather brittle due to U/V rays from the sun.
The last container I left out made of thi material fell to bits after about 15 month it looks to be the exact same design as well.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
John, I am going to have to get more tubing so I can move the filter box back and try to hide it. Moving it back and hiding it with plants and rocks/bricks should make it look better. I guess I can live with it for the remainder of this year. It is going to have to be put away in the next month or two anyway with winter coming.

The tube in front of the filter is the intake from the pond to the filter and there are two output tubes in the back of the filter. One is going into the main pond and the other is going into the connecting pool.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bury the tank a little, stack some rocks around it, a little dirt, some ground covers and it will look fine.
I put in a sort of skippy filter to feed the tank, ow it would be fed unfiltered water from the big pond. I have a T right after the pump, but before the bog, that feeds the shubbie tank.

This is what my subbie tank looked like during build, the filter sticks out like a sore thumb

DSC05427.JPG

After a summer season, the fence is anti heron, anti turtle (they drown in this tank), now you can not even see the filter. The impatiens are growing in the top of the tank, just floating in the water.

DSC06465.JPG

DSC06466.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I planted a bunch of sedums, and other ground covers that have spread very nicely this year. Put them among the rocks around the tank, add some wood, rocks, whatever, blends it in. Also put some grasses behind the tank on the down slope side. The water fall is from the 2 inch pvc pipe that is draining the sort of filter, hid it under rocks.

Ask a Question