Need to clean a painted surface prior to touch-up

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our Boy Scout, OA Lodge has entrusted me with some art work restoration, and I'm not sure what to do regarding the 1st step: prepping he surface..... And I know that this is the most crucial part of any paint job!

These are ceremonial "shields" that are wooden discs around 24" in diameter -- 3 are plywood and one is some type of particle board. They are painted with Native American symbols -- if I had to guess I would say that the base (front & back) was probably painted with a latex paint, and the symbols and other art work was painted with acrylic paints. They are many moons old...... They are used outside a few times a year, but aren't left outside. I'd enclose a picture, but they are in my vehicle, at the bottom of all my camping gear and I'm too lazy to unload right now.......

My job will be to "freshen up" the existing paintings.

So, what I want to do is clean [at least] the front surfaces, with the symbols, without doing any damage to the existing paint, or getting the wood wet. Not sure if using something like 409 spray would work, or even a wipe-over with a mild solution of Dawn [followed by a rinse-wipe].

Suggestions welcome!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
  1. Gently rince.
  2. Wash using soap, sponge or cloth with soap and water, rince, rince a second time.
  3. Hand dry changing towels as necessary then allow to thoroughly dry out of the sun for hours.
  4. Be especially careful with the particle board. Do not over saturate with water.
  5. Before proceding make certain no moisture remains.
  6. Remove any flaking paint. Using 120 grid sandpaper sand areas where flaking paint was removed.
  7. Sand any cracks level with the surface. Fill using exterior grade wood filler. Sand filled areas until level with surface.
  8. Dust all areas using a vacumn and brush. Vacumn again.
  9. Wipe down entire surface wipe paint prep cloth to remove any remaining residue.
  10. Prime any bare wood, sanded areas boardering bare wood an filled then sanded areas.
  11. Touch up as planned using several coates. TIP-since old colors many have changed hues the new paint may need to be tinted to match.
Good luck and have fun!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is a picture of 2 of the shields (I'd forgotten that another guy took 2 home to work on, so I only have these). That's the back of my Highlander for a size comparison.

image.jpg

I decided to try using some 409 and a Magic Eraser Sponge (or whatever it's called). I swiped a couple of spots (the green boxes in the pic), then went back over them with a few rinse-swipes. That did a pretty good job. I set my hair dryer on the cool setting to dry them. Probably will use one of my Dremel tools to sand off the pieces of red felt that was glued on -- that has to be replaced, as well.

image.jpg

This one has a lot of black sooty stuff on it, but looks like it's coming off. I guess that's from fire lays and Tiki torches......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, can't say I don't agree...... I can see both sides. But we were assigned to clean and re-paint them. I can always go over them afterward with an "antiquing" product.

One thing to understand, is that they are used in ceremonies that are held at or after dusk (depending on time of year). In their current state, they're hard to see, as they are attached to spears, lining a pathway. Once spiffed up a little, they will POP out and really catch the eye.

Ask a Question