Need to clear water in 5 days!

Reaction score
Both ponds are clear as can be. Only thing left to do is filter out the sedement, clean the bottoms and get rid of the "excess proteins."

I finally got a real test kit today and tested PH, amonia, etc. (i had strips before and was having a hard time with them) PH is about 8 (and so is my tapwater) and amonia is about .25. So I definately have some work to do. I bought some "PH Up," "Ph Down" and "Nite Out" (supposed to lower the amonia levels) just in case I get in a bind. I'd rather keep going the natural route, though, if i can. So far so good.

I'm pretty sure that my amonia levels are that high due to inadequate filtration. It's not something that I can work out the way i'd like it right now. . .but i'm working on it.

So my wife is going to feed them a little less for the next few days. and hopefully that will help.

I've got the milk crate alternating between both ponds (i've only got one pump capable of sucking up the sediment) and it's collecting a lot of filth! Hopefully I can get it all cleared up by thursday the latest.

I've got to get the bottom vacuumed. I'm going to check home depot or harbor freight for a cheapo shop vac that's good for that. I've got one right now but i think it's a little too powerful for the pond.

-James

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
How many fish Vs gallons of water do you have? Too many fish in small pond will always mean high ammonia. Also, if you have a dead fish that you have no removed, you will get a spike. Do you count your fish?

Maybe you would be best off draining the pond half way, use a net to scoop and dead organic matter off the bottom and refill.

You definitely have a major issue and it can be anything from a single dead fish to a rotted out plant

Reaction score
Both ponds are 300 gallons. The back pond has 6 fish in it (2 10" koi, some other goldfish, 2 8" catfish and 1 12" catfish) and the front pond has 12 fish (a mixture, but most fish are 6" or less). May be overcrowded, but i'm sure i could get it under control with better filtration.

I've also got plenty of muck on the bottom that i need to clean out. That could be the bulk of the problem. I'm going to buy a new wet/dry vac tomorrow to get all that.

-James

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i kept 40 fish from 8" to 14" in 450 gallon pond never had anything but 0 readings for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. filtration is everything. an 8 ph reading is o.k. as long as its not fluctuating if its steady and un moving you are good to go when it starts swinging is when its time to be concerned

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you really should have removed all the gunk from the bottom before putting all the work into the clear water...then there wouldnt be much there to battle with, keeping it clear and balanced.

Reaction score
i know. any instructions on using a wet/dry vac to vacuum the pond? Any recommendations on power (don't want it to weak, but don't want it so powerful it sucks up my fish!) or how to use?

I looked at some Rigid brand vacs in home depot. They're about $80. I can get a craftsman one for about the same price. The problem is that neither one tells me on the box what kind of filter i'll need for wet work. Is there a special filter I need?? Also, the plus for the rigid is that there's a $40 pump attachment that fits all of them. . .not that i'd buy it now. . .but good to know for the future!

-J

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would think your fish will avoid the vaccuum... i dont think theres much risk of sucking one up...scoop out as much as possible first so that will lessen the time in the pond, and the water removed.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I suck mine out with a 6.5 hp 18 gal its a shop pro i dont use a filter on water , it cuts off before its full..

Reaction score
I've got a 1hp/6 Gallon craftsman that I could use. . .

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try that one first. I mean. . .i'll probably have to empty it about 5 times a pond. . .but that's not so bad. I was going to use this as an excuse to get a new (bigger) shopvac. . .but the one i have is probably fine!

-James

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yea you are right it should work...I have 4 shop vacs way to many..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just like some one had posted ...It probably cleared up perfect, the day the company left.

Reaction score
ACTUALLY it turned out pretty great! The only issue was that we had put a mosquito dunk in each pond that the fish decided to pick apart! My mother-in-law was super impressed with how clear the water was though and wants me to help my father-in-law clear his!

So all went well! I'll continue working on them. I got my skippies almost done.

On another note, My mother's cousin bought me a Shop-Vac brand wet/dry vac while he was here. I was kind up in the air about whether I wanted a Craftsman or a rigid. . .he and my wife came home from Lowes and there was a 12 gallon Shop-Vac! I've got mixed feelings about it since i wasn't really planning on getting that brand, but i'll let you guys know how it works on the pond! (my 6 gallon craftsman worked pretty well but i had to empty it every 10 seconds. . .LITERALLY)

-James

Reaction score
Spoke too soon! I knew it was going TOO well. Today I woke up to a haven of string algae in my back pond. LOL. Oh well, at least I've got time to clean it up the right way. I'm in no hurry here as i've got nobody to show it off to!

-James

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
such is life.. One thing is fixed and another thing goes horribly wrong..string algae just needs to be scooped out.

Do you have barley in your pond? They sell pellets, extract, or actual barley straw. Its supposed to wokr GREAT at keeping algae away.. Apparently as it decays, it lets off chemicals that make algae no grow. I have some in my pond and although i had cloudy water for a few weeks, i havent gotten algae.. and my pond gets a big of light.

Ask a Question