Need to install a ne w pump through old conduit.

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently purchased a home that has a small pond with waterfall. The pond is empty and the pump has been removed. I have been thinking about replacing the pump, and returning the pond to glory, but I have on fear of attempting this.

There is a conduit from the bottom of the pump that runs to a power switch inside the house. Simple enough to figure that you run the power cable through the conduit. My fear is that the galvanized piping used as conduit sticks out about 3 to 4 inches from the pond floor, so i am unsure how to run the electrical through, and seal the pipe to protect water from getting into the conduit. Also, I believe there is some residual water in the conduit now, so I may have to use and air compressor to blow the water out as well.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Kenny

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi Kenny, they like ya here to put your first post in the introduction thread and then we will answer away at your questions. Just re-post and tell us about your self and your pond in that thread and you will be set to go :twisted:

Reaction score
Welcome. Can you post a picture of the conduit?

Is it electrical conduit or the pipe for the pumps out-flow? How far away is the house?
Most pumps only come with a 25ft cord. Is it possible to remove the conduit and just drop in a new pump without using it? If it is hardwired to a switch and farther than 20ft then you would need to run a new line or splice it. And I highly advise against it unless done by a licensed electrician.

Or does it go out of the pond to a hidden junction/outlet box? Then from there to the switch inside. This I could see instead.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat about your daughter she will love the pond, and make sure you do have a fence kids love ponds, fish and you sure don't want her falling in.

A picture would help with the conduit ? my honey is an electrician he may be able to give some advice.

Sounds like they had a submersible pump in the pond with the ability to turn it off from the house. Agree with kenneth, you may want to just seal the conduit and drop the pump into the bottom, or go with a external pump.

Reaction score
Thanks,

I will try to post a picture tonight. (PST)

Yes, it was an old submersible pump, and the conduit does run to a switch inside the house.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Kenny

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol kwong, think I already answered this one. Get rid of the conduit, plug it!

Ask a Question