Net covers don't just keep things out of the pond...

Reaction score
So much has happened, since I've not been around here. The pond started attracting all the normal pond critters, even though I live in the city. But, it is not always a normal thing. One day after being gone all morning...this is what I saw. I thought it was a duck at first, but the closer I got, I realized this was a rare thing to find anywhere, let alone my pond.

hawk 004.JPG

And the closer I got, the sicker I felt. The pour bird had got tangled up in the netting… meant for leaves not birds. I kind of panicked 'cause I had no idea how I was going to get this bird out, let alone what I was gonna do with him.
So I got my neighbor to help me. We put a sweatshirt over the bird and from that point till the time we got him to CSUB, he didn't even move.

hawk 007.JPG

FACT is a wildlife rescue, particularly Raptors.They are nursed back to health, then released. Any ways, not only was this bird, known as the Merlin, a rare one to see… but he was banded. Migration monitoring by the USGS. The coordinator out at FACT, reported the rescue and they're sending me a Finder's Rescue Certificate. It tells me how old the bird is, if it's male or female and for how long it's been monitored.
So it turned out that he wasn't so badly injured and after week they called to see when I could come get him for release. I did not know they had to be released in the same spot they were found. It being such a rare thing, it wasn't long before the media caught wind. So, for the sake of raising community interest, I agreed to let them do a story… So long as they only captured images of the Falcon...and not me.
He is so sad looking being stuck in that net sitting in that cold water and not knowing what I was about to do. Not at all the way falcons normally look, and the way he did when it was time to fly free.

hawk 006.JPG

I will cut tree limbs down before cutting bird limbs free, and not likely to use netting again.

Interesting too, is the fact that I rarely put my dog inside, when I'm gone. But I did that day. There is absolutely no doubt, had I not...I would have come home to my dogs delight of having made herself some Pond Soup. I'm so grateful for angels. :biggrinangelA:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats part of the reason I don't like those nets ,even frogs get stuck and so do lizards .I use window screening
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:61050]

Reaction score
Excellent..thank you for that tip, sissy. I could put enough pieces together to cover my pond. yeah, I can work with that. I think that's a much better idea anyways. Those pond nets don't really work right, not when just one individual is trying to take a net full of leaves off the pond. That's my newbie experience, anyways.

Reaction score
Yeah, he really was beautiful. He was so cold, he just laid like a baby in my arms...and you could tell he really enjoyed being in the sun. It was amazing how calm he was and pretty awesome exsperience...once the trauma of getting him free was over. The net was so tight and tangled around his one leg.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The only thing wrong with those nets is the price and it is hard to see the fish .I bought window screening in the wide roll at 17 dollars and still have lots of it left over .I did my 2 sliding screen doors and the screens on the guest house(4 windows ) and still have some left for 2 stock tanks .Still not sure little toe nails will not get stuck .

Reaction score
Country
United States
yea sissy, those nets are expensive but I have a fairly small pond so I went for it. They are very well made and I expect it will last me a long time not like the other cheaper nets I bought that have the larger holes in them.

Love your practical way of thinking by the way :cool:

pond42sliders, nice tree trimming job there!

Reaction score
Country
United States
pond42sliders said:
Yeah, he really was beautiful. He was so cold, he just laid like a baby in my arms...and you could tell he really enjoyed being in the sun. It was amazing how calm he was and pretty awesome exsperience...once the trauma of getting him free was over. The net was so tight and tangled around his one leg.
I think somehow animals know when you are trying to help them and that's why he laid still for you.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So neat! I use a net that is real wide weave, 4 inches, the birds just fly in and out of it. We have falcons, They love to come and try to get birds at the feeders. Beautiful birds and so fast.

Reaction score
The Merlin is a Falcon. They aren't too common around here, and especially in the city. It depends alot on the migration pattern...city or elsewhere. I don't know what this little guy was going for, maybe hummingbirds. I do sit directly under the Turkey Vulture's migrating path, a little too big for the Merlin. Merlins are small but fast. They are clever enough to follow behind any other Raptor that happens to be zooming in on prey, just in case that bird misses his catch...the Merlin will snatch it away.

I don't know if you can zoom in on the little guys face, but you can see how sad he is. The day I went to pick him up, the woman at FACT had me take pictures while she had ahold of him. He wasn't sad anymore...he had the fierce look of a Falcon who was ready to get on flight, again. I'll see if I can get the link to the news story. It's breif, and I didn't want to be on camera but, right in the beginning there is a quick shot of me by the pond. The woman speaking is Marlene, the coordinator at FACT, Facility for Animal Care and Treatment.

Ok, here it is I hope it works

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful story and well done for rescuing the Raptor a brave thing to do as they are all beak and claws .
however I may be able to help you out net wise from a UK company that exports nets around he world and do any size mesh .
We ourselves use a minute mesh 6mm hexagonal it still allows for veiwing of your fish but stops accidents like this from happening plus the net has bungie straps across the middle and around the sides to keep it taught .

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/view-product.php?index=338935410

Hope this helps you

Dave

Ask a Question