addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still no sight of them and I know they are hiding in there which makes me want to tear everything apart to look for them just to make sure but I will be patient and let them be at peace. They gotta come out sometime to eat.

patience, patience, patience jw............patience

Reaction score
Still no sight of them and I know they are hiding in there which makes me want to tear everything apart to look for them just to make sure but I will be patient and let them be at peace. They gotta come out sometime to eat.

yep like addy said.. but yes it's hard to be patient sometimes... j.w. if you only had five you could have named then new edition like the 80's group

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Clever don't ask, but not naming any of my fish, its bad luck, cuz when you start doing that you lose them so just fishy, fishy for each one lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
jw, they look really nice and will just get better as they grow. I know shubunkins are just supposed to be calico goldfish but I see different behavior from them than my "regular" goldfish. I think these will be a great addition to your pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have some great looking shubbies in the big pond, all different colors. All home grown from last year. I am not liking any one better than another, puts a heck on the fish you like lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The babies are now in the big pond from the bathtub QT. They have grown a bit and look like they like the big pond. One died right when I got it but the rest have done well.
Here's a before and after picture of when I first got them in June and today:

June 20th
IMG_4000.jpg

August 14
IMG_4145.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Colleen I hardly ever saw them and when I did they zoomed around so fast I couldn't tell how big they were. When I finally caught them today and put them in that container I was surprised how fat they had gotten. Gonna look for some long tailed ones next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey JW, They look great. I like the nice long tails. It looks like they have changed colors a little too. The shub I have had the longest was so boring looking when i first got it two years ago and now it has really nice coloration.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Not sure if these will have long tails or not. Thought when I looked at them maybe one or two might but some have short but still I like the colors. I'm looking for more w/ really long tails. I noticed too that they have changed colors and prolly will continue forever in doing so.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice jw! agree colleen, love my goldies and shubies have all sort of colors, sizes, shapes in the pond. Easy to care for too

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My first love was plain Jane goldfish comets. When I was still a kid and living at home, I got three goldfish from the House of Pets, downtown here in town, that was in the seventy's, pets store now closed. When I left home I took my three goldfish with me and moved into a trailer at this trailer park here in town. I dug a hole and made a very small pond in the front flower bed that had no flowers. Put a air stone in it, some hornwort and my three plain Jane goldfish and that was my first pond, that was in 1985? Not sure for sure.

I found my husband later and moved in with him in this very house, and quickly took over a small area in the back yard for a pond. Poor guy, never new what happened, came home one day and I was digging a hole in the ground. Put my three goldfish in and the rest is history. The one goldfish that was the biggest, started out orange, but then turned all white and she lived for over twenty three years. I still see her great grand babies in the bottom pond, (they look just like her) where there is only goldfish of many shapes and sizes.

I do like my big koi too, they are like dogs to me, cause they follow me when I walk around the ponds, but they do get very very big and require more attention and larger ponds with very good circulation and tons of dog food to keep there hunger mouths full. Sometimes I swear they eat more dog food than my two big dogs! I enjoy all the fish now, but the two largest koi and very special to me now, had them for over twenty years, and I hear that they can outlive their owners and sometimes are "willed" to family.

Attachments

• IMAG0655.jpg
    IMAG0655.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG0499.jpg
    IMAG0499.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 189

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I can fully understand how a relatively new husband coming home to find his wife digging a LARGE hole in the back yard could be a bit scary! :faint:
John

Ask a Question