New and scary creature at the pond

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So, the other day I convinced hubby to come down to the ponds and check things out. He doesn't have a whole lot of interest! He spotted what we thought was a snake on the inside edge of the pond. Triangular head, orange in color. He backed up, I moved in for a closer look. This snake had feet, with very long toes and claws! I grabbed a net and scooped it up. Had it in the net for only a few seconds before it launched itself out and scurried off into the woods. This was a large lizard, 7-8". The only lizards we see here are the Blue Tailed skinks and a yellow spotted salamander. It's taken me a while to find out who our new critter is. A Broadhead skink, native to southeastern US.
eumlat210.jpg
He's a scary thing and can grow to a foot or more! Not my pic, didn't have my camera. It worries me that we see dozens of the blue tailed skinks and the babies from the Broadhead are bluetails! I don't want to run across another one of these up close. I guess they have a pretty good bite!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I doubt that they bite unless threatened. We have alligator lizards that get 10" or so and if captured or harassed, can draw blood, but do their best to run away, making them hard to photograph!

I love seeing new critters, we sure don't have yours in our neck of the woods!

Steve

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am jealous! We have none here in colder Frederick.

How darn cool!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Very cool, I find lizards very interesting. I see the broad head and the blue tail skinks around my pond fairly often.

The broadheads bite isn’t much, not enough to draw blood, use to catch them as a kid. Pretty much got bit every time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@mrsclem lol on they don't bite unless bothered..............so you say you picked him up in a net? Glad he didn't launch himself at you or your hubby. Might have been your hubby's last trip to the pond ever :smuggrin:

He's a very nice looking lizard, skink or whatever! If I find them on the road here I will remove them to a safer place. They just think our paved roads are the best sunning rocks in the world.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He was actually a very fascinating looking lizard. Very long toes with claws, sort of like a small Kimodo dragon! The orange head says its a breeding male so guessing there are more here but their not know for being aquatic so may never see another. I saw online where people keep them as pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is a female Blue Tailed Skink......I have one that is probably 10" long......she has been coming back each year for at least 4 years......its amazing that she has survived that long considering how many creatures love to eat them......its no telling how many babies she has produced......and she is fat again......if you see one and stay very still they are Ant eating machines......I watched one on the edge of an Anthill......he pretty much cleaned out that Anthill

Ask a Question