New guy - Dundalk, MD

Reaction score
Hi there. We "inherited" a 100 gallon koi pond with a Versa Gold g210ag20 pump and 3 fish. And, of course, I need some HAAALLLLPPP!

First: Water is super-green with algae and it is clogging up the pump (I have to clean it every other day or so) - What is the best cleaner? Barley? Do I just put the barley in there or should I attempt to clean out some of the algae with a net?

Do I need to get a filter for the pump?

Winterizing - we're in Maryland, and as the Ned Stark likes to say, "Winter is Coming" - what do we need to do for winterizing, and what kind of timing is involved in the process?

Adding new fish - (after cleaning up, of course) - are there any "no-no's" in new additions, both fish-wise and timing wise (i.e. "no new fish after October 1st")?

Thanks in advance. This site is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and you may have to use something to help but once you do quilt batting in a basket will get out the fine stuff and dead stuff .Had to use chemicals my self because some will harm fish .All barley does is break down and make a mess and all it isis really just peroxide after it breaks down

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How big are your 3 koi? I live in southern md. and a 100 gallon will freeze solid with cold weather. You will need to put a small heater in it to keep it from freezing. You can put your pump in a bucket filled with lava rock to keep it from clogging but scoop or rake (plastic) out as much algae as you can. Do it a little at a time as stirring up too much muck can cause problems.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Glad you joined

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome!

Versa sells prefilters for their pumps. Getting one will be an easy first step. The prefilter will help remove algae. Barley won't help.

To prevent algae from coming back: You might be feeding too much if you're getting a lot of algae.

100g is considered a very small pond. What fish (size, type) do you have in there? 3 might be the limit. Do you have any biofilters?

Reaction score
First off Welcome! :wave:
Next: the more info you can give us the better we can help you. How long have you had the pond? What type of fish do you have and how much are you feeding them? Is the pond in full sun? If not how much sun does it get? We will need the measurements of the pond. w X L X d, depth is very important in your case, as Mrsclem has said, because of possibility of solid freezing. If your pond is 2' deep and your zone can freeze solid at 1-2' you will have to use a heater (which can be expensive to run) or bring them in for the winter. With only three fish, that might be easier than trying to keep the pond from freezing all winter.
Next, if you don't already have one, you will need a liquid testing kit. Starting out with the basics, you will want to test for ammonia, Ph level, Nitrates and Nitrites. There are more things to test for once you get a bit more experienced. You will want to test the pond water before any water changes occur and you will want to also test your TAP water (or what ever source you get your water from) this will give you an idea as to what your dealing with. And as long as your fish are not in distress at this time, keep a close eye on them and get those kits and post them as soon as you can. :biggrin:
Algae, is really not a bad thing, and sometimes (in certain situations) can be the only thing keeping the fish alive. And the fish don't mind it at all.
:cheerful: Dont worry! It's not so bad once you get the hang of it. :)

Reaction score
Wow! Great feedback. Knew I found the right place. Ok, let me try to address the responses:

Fish - 3 koi - probably 4-7 inches (???) - one has a really cool white tail - they seem relatively healthy

Reaction score
Pond gets full sun probably only 2 hours a day (it's on the north side of our house, tucked against the porch)

Understood on all the testing and stuff - but since fish are relatively healthy, I want to take it slow and get some advice before we blow money on 'THIS' and 'THAT' and throwing the kitchen sink at a problem without understanding it.

Don't know how long pond has been in existence - we moved here July 1 and I've been taking care of it since.

Where's the darn "attach photo" button??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome I'm really worried for those koi both in over wintering and the size pond you have 100 gallons isnt that much koi do grow large and if you have a really bad winter it will freeze solid killing the koi.
Do you have space to keep them indoors fully filtrated throughout the winter months perhaps a large indoor aquarium .
In the spring I would seriously think about extending your pond upwards of 100 gallons sy between 800 to 1,000 + gallons

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question