j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sunshine someone posted this on another forum on the net.

You are going to be far better off with goldfish than with koi. Koi require much more care because they produce much more waste than goldies. Koi are fun but they are poop machines and foul their water very quickly. Goldies are 100 times easier.

Reaction score
I have also been told that Koi like to eat your plant and keep the bottom stired up foreging for food. Thats why we have only 3 Koi and 12 Gold Fish. Personally I like the gold fish better anyway. The wife is fond of the koi though.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if your filtration is up to where it should be ..koi are no more work than goldies, i had koi and goldies, lots of goldies .when they were of similar size, but koi get twice as big as goldies. goldies max out at maybe 15", koi can hit 30" +.. so naturally they will produce more waste...and koi are more destructive to your ponds plants. myself, i only keep koi now, and i dont do any more or any less than when i had both. my pond maintainence hasnt changed. my pond is gin clear, water parameters are always good and very stable.

Reaction score
My filter will be here tomorrow. It is supposed to be more than enough to keep our 900 Gal. pond cyrstal clear so my wife should be happy that she will be able to see the fish. We have almost full sun on our pond so the only problem we've been having is the algae bloom...The pea soup sundrom. So far our 3 koi haven't hurt any of our plants, but they are growing much faster than the gold fish are. I know for sure that both of us enjoy sitting around the pond with coffee in the morning and having dinner on the deck during the evening. It has been very much worth the work it took to build.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My Koi knock my smaller pots off the plant shelf. The only plant I've seen them eat is the Chocolate Mint, There is an abundance of that.

Hope your filter helps with the pea soup. Our deck is next to our pond, we sit out there a lot also. Yes, ponds are well worth all the work and $$$$.

Reaction score
We recieved the Laguna 1400 filter and pump kit today. I had already laid out the pumbing and electrical routes so hooking everything up was a snap. You may know that something would go wrong though. The UV light does not work. I don't see anything physically wrong with the bulb, but I'm hoping thats what's wrong. I'm hoping it isn't the power pack for the UV light. I'll make a call to laguna tomorrow, and hopefully they can get me fixed up. In the mean time I have the filter running without the UV light. I'm not sure how clean the pond will look without the UV light, but we'll see in the morning. Night all.

Reaction score
I'm just up the road in Centerville OH..... Do you every visit Woodruf's koi farm? It's across the river & a mile or so down ruver, he's helped me quite a bit with my ponds. There is also a koi club in dayton, most are only into koi & not water gardens but it's still cool seeing the setups people have in their yard.

Ask a Question