new guys with questions..

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 400 gallon pond in my basement I created out of 4x4s. I have a few koi in it. They are doing really well. I have a shop light hanging over it with aquatic lighting in it. I actually have a couple of water lilies in the pond. I had an outdoor pond, we moved, and I moved it all inside....including my savio skimmer filter.

What kind of water plants work inside....with less light than they would get in the sun?

Should I put plastic media or something like that in my filter....it just has a filter pad currently. Seems to be working fine...but I thought it might be better with some media for bio filtration?

thanks, Ed

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i was gonna get acouple of 4' foot flourecents called "full sun" full spectrum grow lights and try to keep my hiacynths going til spring but never got around to geting them. if i were you i would build a biofilter to add on to the simple skimmer box set up your using...its effectiveness may prove short lived as your bio load grows with your fish size and if you make any fish additions. do you planning on building outside again? and keeping that one for wintering as i do? have you tested your water parameters? clear water doesnt neccessarily meen good water...ammonias nitrites and nitrates dont show..

Reaction score
Yes, you need to use some other filter media other than just a filter sponge to get that bacteria growing. You can use pretty much anything plastic, floor scrubber pads, plastic curlers, pieces of PVC, bacti-twist, plastic strapping, you name it! Just keep it all in a net bag so that it all stays in one place.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Lol
there going to put you guys on a watch list when you buy those lights :biggrin:

Ask a Question