Lilbitsoulshine

Linda aka: Lilbitsoulshine
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thank you all for the lil kick in the rear lol
I'm gonna empty the pond before winter hits and will either add the proper underlayment and liner then , or wait until spring keep it empty of water and then add right liners in spring.
I'm just about finished...only thing left is a truck load of dirt, and truck load of river rock..... my 3 large flagstone pieces at bottom 2 cascades of waterfall need to be placed and pavers along edge to hide liner better....
DSC06727.JPG
DSC06737.JPG
DSC06727.JPG
DSC06737.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06745.JPG
    DSC06745.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 267

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It may be just me, but I would go ahead and change it out now, if your budget allows. The winter cold can be very unforgiving to plastic, and if you were to get a leak over the winter.....well, I wouldn't want to be changing things out as an emergency situation during February. OK, I just re-read where you said wait until spring, but keep it empty. But still, you could have wall collapse, esp. if you have a lot of rain.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Best time to buy your liner is late fall or winter and before Christmas because they have great sales and it will give you time to compare prices also .I would leave the water in it to stabilize the sides so it does not cave in .

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you all for the lil kick in the rear lol
I'm gonna empty the pond before winter hits and will either add the proper underlayment and liner then , or wait until spring keep it empty of water and then add right liners in spring.
I'm just about finished...only thing left is a truck load of dirt, and truck load of river rock..... my 3 large flagstone pieces at bottom 2 cascades of waterfall need to be placed and pavers along edge to hide liner better....View attachment 84489 View attachment 84490 View attachment 84489 View attachment 84490

Good idea to install a fishsafe epdm liner & underlayment in your pond. We have a similar climate here in Rochester, NY and it is the only liner we use during pond installs or renovations. Placing rock over the liner will help protect it from UV rays as well as a create natural look for your water feature. Since you will be removing the old liner anyways, and if budget allows... you may want to look at adding filtration to reduce future pond maintenance as well. Looks like a perfect location for a water garden...right next to your patio!

Lilbitsoulshine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I've been away for a bit... Working on my pond. I did away with the liner/underlayment and just stuck the preformed kidney shaped pond in the huge hole, back filled and created a small zen gardern right next to it. I'm planting grass seed today in front bed and all up waterfall hill. Been working on this sense May, sure feels good to be done.. Just in time for fall...lol
20150929_134051.jpg
20150929_134051.jpg
20150926_192530.jpg
20150926_192530.jpg

Attachments

• 20150926_172432.jpg
    20150926_172432.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 301
Reaction score
You did a nice job and I know it took a lot of work. The only thing I would do is to fill it more so that the edge doesn't show as much. Don't forget to take in the pump for the winter. Can you leave the water in it all winter or will it crack? I'm curious too on why you abandoned the first pond.

Lilbitsoulshine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You did a nice job and I know it took a lot of work. The only thing I would do is to fill it more so that the edge doesn't show as much. Don't forget to take in the pump for the winter. Can you leave the water in it all winter or will it crack? I'm curious too on why you abandoned the first pond.

Thank you all so much. It's really been alot of work ... But I somehow find peace in it. I went ahead and got rid of the bigger pond after reading and researching, and not able to afford the right underlayment and liner. I had the preformed lil pond and backfilled in the huge hole I dug to begin with lol but, in the long run I'm really very pleased with how it all came together... I love sitting out there by the waterfall every morning drinking my coffee. The waterfall was the original reason I started this, I'm most at peace near the water, so I wanted my own little waterfall.... In the spring I will plant pretty plants all around... Some day I will have a nice pond and waterfall, but for now I'm going to enjoy the fruits of all the blood, sweat & tears I put into it...
As for winter?!? I will bring the pump in.... I guess I could drain the pond but it will just get filled back up with snow..... Is it possible to continue to have the pump working and waterfall going even in winter?!? I thought if the water was continuously moving it wouldn't freeze?!?! I live in Ohio... Winters can be brutal...
Still didn't get my grass seed down, I finished making the rock ledge all around, and added more dirt onto waterfall hill so the grass growing in front and up top would look more natural...
Grass seed n straw will be done by Friday:)

Reaction score
The water will freeze even if it s moving so taking the pump in is necessary. I should be planting grass seed too but the falling leaves and the raking of them would soon ruin everything.

Ask a Question