New home owner came with koi pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all so very much!! My hubby and I are coming into this blind and he found this site and told me to join and hopefully get help which you all have been a blessing! Thanks once again!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I think so too............start with a couple of pretty shubunkins, and add a couple more goldfish after the pond has time to cycle. (Maybe add some good bacteria too) And plants help the pond soooooo much! Its a nice pond! You will get addicted, I did!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, I totally agree about the algaecide...get rid of it.
There's been numerous posts here from new pond owners that were "gifted" their ponds in which they killed off all their fish by adding algaecide.
The best procedure is to keep it as natural as possible.
The advice about having patience is spot on. These things don't happen overnight.
I also suggest plants and more plants.... get as many as you can afford or fit in there. They are part if the natural cycle you need to establish. They help clean the water.
If you don't have any shelves in your pond to sit potted plants on (and in the water), there are many floating plants you can get that don't require soil or pots.
As far as fish, I would wait a couple weeks, then start with a few cheap feeder goldfish. Wait a couple more weeks then get a few shubunkin. They are cool looking colorful fish with really nice flowing gins. They won't get too big for your pond either. And don't get too many fish because they will reproduce and you can quickly become over populated. Too many fish can cause unhealthy water conditions.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with all the advice being given, especially the patience part. Since you cleaned the pond, and there are no plants in it, it will turn green again even without fish in it......let it, it will clear on its own. This will establish the base of the food web/chain in your pond.

The only other thing I will add, remove the screen off your skimmer weir, it is defeating the purpose of the skimmer, which is to suck debris into it before it settles to the pond bottom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree with all the advice being given, especially the patience part. Since you cleaned the pond, and there are no plants in it, it will turn green again even without fish in it......let it, it will clear on its own. This will establish the base of the food web/chain in your pond.

The only other thing I will add, remove the screen off your skimmer weir, it is defeating the purpose of the skimmer, which is to suck debris into it before it settles to the pond bottom.
Thank you so much! Sorry just now getting this message. We have been busy getting stuff done around our new home and we had to purchase a new uv light set and also our pump. We purchased new aerators as well. So we don't need the screen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You're like me, beginning with a ready-made pond (or in my case tank), but starting from scratch knowledge-wise. But the help is, well, helpful--to me too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes my husband and I came into this blind and so thankful he found this forum. We have gotten so many responses from others that have truly helped us. These folks are awesome!!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thank you so much! Sorry just now getting this message. We have been busy getting stuff done around our new home and we had to purchase a new uv light set and also our pump. We purchased new aerators as well. So we don't need the screen?
No you don’t need the screen. Previous owner most likely put it on there to keep the koi from wandering into it and getting stuck. Personally, I have never had fish get stuck in my skimmer, the big ones don’t go in it and the small ones just swim in and out of it. You don’t want it on there as the skimmers purpose is to skim stuff that falls in the pond before it has a chance to sink.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh ok thank you So much. I too was wondering about the fish getting sucked in.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As Jhn says, the fish don't usually get stuck in the skimmer. However in my pond, the males will end up pushing the females into the skimmer during spawning so I have a net inside mine.

Ask a Question