New Koi Pond Change in plans

Reaction score
you will need to think a way to hide all that stuff as it can be an eyesore and you need to think about leaking .I sure would not like to look at all that stuff it kills the enjoyment of your pond .Plus if you have neighbors close they may complain if they have to look at it .You have to think about pipes freezing also
It comes in in the winter and heating ring goes out and as mentioned bamboo will be planted. As for the neighbors not to many are brave enough to complain to the Zen master lol honestly I have amazing neighbors and if anything they may want me to make them one too ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
It comes in in the winter and heating ring goes out and as mentioned bamboo will be planted. As for the neighbors not to many are brave enough to complain to the Zen master lol honestly I have amazing neighbors and if anything they may want me to make them one too ;)
This isn't my 1st Koi rodeo and I want a great atmosphere for the fish on my budget :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Done plenty for my neighbors also .Bamboo needs to be watched runners will take over ,even clumping bamboo takes over .My neighbor was told no problem it is clumping and 4 years later it has taken over ..Plus you may want to check your homeowners insurance ,my company made a surprise visit to my house last year and anything over 4 ft would need a clause in my policy and cost me more each year,I was really surprised they had no problem with it being in my front yard ,but he said no because the neighbors house was more than 300 ft from my house and all the required was 200 ft .Plus they have the right to cancel policy .I think insurance companies are checking more homes these days .They are not taking chances anymore ,I guess to much fraud and claims on properties that are not worth what they are insured for .

Reaction score
Done plenty for my neighbors also .Bamboo needs to be watched runners will take over ,even clumping bamboo takes over .My neighbor was told no problem it is clumping and 4 years later it has taken over ..Plus you may want to check your homeowners insurance ,my company made a surprise visit to my house last year and anything over 4 ft would need a clause in my policy and cost me more each year,I was really surprised they had no problem with it being in my front yard ,but he said no because the neighbors house was more than 300 ft from my house and all the required was 200 ft .Plus they have the right to cancel policy .I think insurance companies are checking more homes these days .They are not taking chances anymore ,I guess to much fraud and claims on properties that are not worth what they are insured for .
I agree indeed it takes off fast so I will probably bury metal troughs and plant it in them :) and insurance companies are always coming up with things to agitate us with. Now does your clause about over 4 feet include trees? If so that's a bummer because we need to replant our earth as much as possible.

Reaction score
image.jpg
Something like this would fit the Asian style to disguise the filter also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the pond could not be over 4 ft deep and he even measured it and took pics of just about everything and funny thing is farm ponds are not included because they are considered natural and can be considered fire ponds to help put out fires ./Like i told him i have nothing to hide ,he took pics of my kitchen and even measured the house .Funny thing is I provided my insurance company with pics of my furniture and all the contents of my house and i have a copy in a safety deposit box with all my other papers .There is so much fraud I don't blame insurance companies ,to many I'll burn it because I owe more than it is worth .He even asked why there was no mortgage papers and guess they would not have them since I paid cash for both of my houses .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hmmm, we bought some climbing bamboo about 4 year ago...about half of it died. The remaining plants have really taken off....should I be concerned? We wanted some privacy at the end of our pool from our neighbors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 67864
Made a few adjustments to my plan possibly only 2 barrels for now untill my funds allow one of the barrels is complete. Was curious how the holes are made in the matting also are there multiple layers ?
The sheets were stood upright shaped to the curvature of the filter , they then cut other sheets into equal parts length wise and place each length inbetwee the sheets to divide them all leaving you with the small squares that make the holes running top to bottom sort of making a 3D purtcullis , they then took a baleing needle and threaded each one togther .
You are then left with a solid structure of jap matting with spaces inbetween to allow for water flow between them.
This they found is a very effective method of removing particles and that allows a maximum flow of water through them .
You then are able to push a number of airstones (we use three per filter and six in the bio filter) down through them what you then have is a very efficient benificial bacteria factory allowing for maximun surfaces colonised.
To clean you just remove as a whole from the filter and run a pressure washer through it cleaning all the surfaces, you only remove the surface bacteria as the rest has colonised the deep down inside the matting.
The bacteria soon takes over again, however prior to allowing water back into the barrel you use a bottle (depending on the size) of Microbe_lift PL filterpad innoculent gel.
You then leave it standing in the barrel for an hour in air before allowing water back into the barrel.
You then let it stand for a further half an hour in the water before switching the pump back on again, you can isolate each barrel from the system the airflow from the airstones will keep the others viable so I suggest a ball valve between each filter to achieve this..
Hope this description helps you to visualize and make this jap matting arrangement I suggest use the tops of the matting in the photos as a template, you can equip two barrels in this way using the third as the bio filter returning crystal clear water.
Clean in late spring , middle of the summer and then in late autumn....

Dave

Reaction score
Hmmm, we bought some climbing bamboo about 4 year ago...about half of it died. The remaining plants have really taken off....should I be concerned? We wanted some privacy at the end of our pool from our neighbors.
I think bamboo is gorgeous

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
remember the farther your tanks are and the more elbows and the higher the water has to go the more gph on your pump you will loose .I know when i bought my pump laguna told me that i would need a 4200 gph pump and there would be extra water I could just run back into the pond .But i still wanted the safety net of 2 pumps so 1 2900 gph and 1 that was 960 gph .Had my pump on my first pond go out in the heat of the summer and it was scarey ,the rush was on to find another pump ..We have a house out on highway 58 that had to be condemned because bamboo roots destroyed the foundation of the house and since it was a crawl space and was damaged extensively it was condemned .That was 8 years ago and the bamboo forest has taken over .Bamboo is pretty but if you google it you will see how aggressive it is

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I want bamboo, next time when I am at the Golden Acres nursery I will ask my friend if there is a hardy type that I can grow here in Alberta. I want to get that look too, looks Asian style and very nice! Somehow I do not think it will take over here like it did for you Sissy.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I want bamboo, next time when I am at the Golden Acres nursery I will ask my friend if there is a hardy type that I can grow here in Alberta. I want to get that look too, looks Asian style and very nice! Somehow I do not think it will take over here like it did for you Sissy.

Horsetail looks almost like Bamboo (jointed). It's hardy, just watch the spread.

Ask a Question