New Koi Question

Reaction score
Hello all,

I ran into a situation that I did not plan on and wanted to run it across some experienced Koi owners.

I have a fairly good sized pond (around 1200-1500 gallons). I was talking to a guy about buying his larger koi and he agreed to sell them when spring came around. Knowing that spring is now here, I began to prepare the pond and a quarantine tube seperate from the pond. When I got home from work, I noticed he had already some by and dropped the fish off in the quarantine tub with water from his pond. Well naturally I freaked out. I called him and he said they had only been there for 2-3 hours and he had begun to mix my water with the quarantine. I believe there was some communication error there but what happened happened. So in my freak out mode (and having to leave for an appointment) and not wanting them to run out of O2 in the tub (since I do not have an Air Pump), I mixed more water in there slowly for about 30 minutes. Then I put them into the pond. I know some of you are freaking out at my choice right now.

So the question, they are acting fine and swimming around (just not eating, which they were a week ago when I saw them). I have seen where they came from and picked them out. The whole pond looked healthy and all the fish showed no signs of disease. He origianlly had 30+ of these big guys and wanted to thin out the herd. I guess I want to know what to watch for or just reassurance that it will all be okay.

Side info - I do currently have Koi in there but they are small (around 4 inches) and not that I am wishing them death by illiness but I am not too concerned about them.

Attachments

• 20130320_191046.jpg
    20130320_191046.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 268

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are just getting used to there new surroundings and no big deal as long as they are healthy .Sometimes you have to make hard and fast choices .Better they don't eat .They are not stressed they should be fine .I have moved koi from abandoned ponds and not one death .These ponds were abandoned for 3 and 4 years ,no pumps no nothing and some were more than a foot long .Mine are 2 feet long and I start them up with spring and fall food mixed with organic garlic to help them feed better .Been doing that for over 5 years now and my koi were a couple of inches long 9 years ago .

Reaction score
Sissy,

Thank you for your response. I will just keep an eye on them and check my water a few times until they begin to act "normal". They swim in a pack, dont brush up on the sides or bottom, dont hide from me, they swin normal and upright, etc. I thnk you are right, they may just need some time to adjust to the new pond. I called the guy and also found out what food he was using and bought some so I can begin to mix mine into it.

Thanks again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just check your pond with a water test kit and you should be ok this time of the year as they will soon start breeding and better they are in the pond and just watch they do not jump out .I learned the hard way and in 9 years that was the only fish i ever lost as it got a little busy with breeding in there and he some how jumped out in the chase .

Reaction score
a couple weeks ago my friend called me and asked me if i wanted some koi fish i said sure, well he runs a lawn care business and was hired to drain a pond that had been neglected for months, they were draining it and realized when they were just about done that there were still three fish in there, so they caught them and put them into a 5 gallon bucket cause that's all they had. so i drove as fast as i could and met him at his shop when i got there he was putting hose water on them so i was freaking out cause i didn't bring and water conditioner and when i looked in the bucket and saw what was in there, there was 2 eight inch long kois and a fourteen inch long koi in there and there was no room for him to sit in there he was basically facing the bottom and his tail at the top so i rushed them home and got a big tote that we had and dumped a bunch of water from my pond in there and dumped the fish in they had no time to acclimate or anything, well i put a little pump in there with a fountain top to circulate and aerate the water and let them sit in there for about six hours i gave them a good look over to see if they looked healthy which some how they looked great and i let them go for it in my pond at first they were hesitant but after about a week or so they are rite there with my fish swimming and playing. so moral to the story is these are some really tough fish i didn't think they were going to make it but they beat the odds and are now nice clean, full and happy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think if you fuss to much with them and there water it's when you loose them .All you have to worry about is breeding and water quality .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hello all,

I ran into a situation that I did not plan on and wanted to run it across some experienced Koi owners.

I have a fairly good sized pond (around 1200-1500 gallons). I was talking to a guy about buying his larger koi and he agreed to sell them when spring came around. Knowing that spring is now here, I began to prepare the pond and a quarantine tube seperate from the pond. When I got home from work, I noticed he had already some by and dropped the fish off in the quarantine tub with water from his pond. Well naturally I freaked out. I called him and he said they had only been there for 2-3 hours and he had begun to mix my water with the quarantine. I believe there was some communication error there but what happened happened. So in my freak out mode (and having to leave for an appointment) and not wanting them to run out of O2 in the tub (since I do not have an Air Pump), I mixed more water in there slowly for about 30 minutes. Then I put them into the pond. I know some of you are freaking out at my choice right now.

So the question, they are acting fine and swimming around (just not eating, which they were a week ago when I saw them). I have seen where they came from and picked them out. The whole pond looked healthy and all the fish showed no signs of disease. He origianlly had 30+ of these big guys and wanted to thin out the herd. I guess I want to know what to watch for or just reassurance that it will all be okay.

Side info - I do currently have Koi in there but they are small (around 4 inches) and not that I am wishing them death by illiness but I am not too concerned about them.
Did you ask him when was the last time he introduced a new fish to his heard? If it's been 2 months or longer I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the QT part. Of course I would have freaked as well, but in reality, they have really been in a QT tank at the other owners home. I am usually more concerned when fish are coming from breeders and dealers as they are exposed to fish coming in and out of the facilities.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Did you ask him when was the last time he introduced a new fish to his heard? If it's been 2 months or longer I wouldn't worry a whole lot about the QT part. Of course I would have freaked as well, but in reality, they have really been in a QT tank at the other owners home. I am usually more concerned when fish are coming from breeders and dealers as they are exposed to fish coming in and out of the facilities.
Luckily, he has never added fish to the pond. The guy was not very knowledgable on the fish or even the pond. He just bought the house and is trying to thin out what he has. He said the only fish that have been added where from what the Koi made. So I maybe safe.

So far they are just shy (I am guessing they are getting accustomed) but no appetite yet. Plus my water is still pretty cold, so not eating does not suprise me. Going to spend some time cleaning up the back yard this weekend, so going to keep an eye on them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Once they get used to you they will come up to beg like a dog for food .

Reaction score
I agree with sissy. I have dealt with a shop for years with my saltwater fish and so I trust him with the koi I buy from him. I just start adding pond water to the container that i have the fish in and i do that for a hour to an hour and a half long and I haven't had any problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try chopping some garlic up and adding it to your koi food they tend to go for it like cats to catnip.
You have to think these guys have been taken from the pond they lived in and dropped into a pond thats new to them taste smell even water chemistary are all different to them plus they have new pondmates too.
However the fact remain they haven't been Qaurentined nor do you have a propper QT holding tank which you should i;e with its own filtration UV-C.
You may have dodged a bullet this time but it makes scence to QT your fish, just because a fish is swimming fine in one pond doesnt mean you dont have Parasites in that pond or yours just looking for the chance to wreck havoc

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
I tried adding garlic and they would go to the bottom as it sank to eat it; but would spit it back out. They did surface one time to eat but then spit that food out again. I bought some krill and bloodworms but they still will not surface to eat them; even after I leave they still dont. I tried getting a hand full of food and holding it in my fist underwater. They are interested in my hand and will get pretty close to it but then dart away. I let a little food go at a time to try and excited them but still no eating or surfacing to eat.

So far I have tried garlic, all season mini floating pellets, spring/fall pellets, krill, and bloodworms. All with no luck. They have put garlic, mini pellets and spring/fall pellets in their mouth but spit them out.

So do I just keep trying? Or are there any other tips? I would really like them to surface to eat, so I can inspect them, enjoy them, etc.; so I would like to avoid sinking food (excuse my ignorance if that was a false statement). They do not seem to be losing weight or anything though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Try liquifying them then adding a little to the food then that way you can keep the liquid in the fridge what is the temperature of your pond at the moment is it above 10c , if not its too cold yet to feed them.
Not heard them acting like tis before with galrlic ours love it as do others koi who I've passed the tip onto .
It has to be temperature related

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
Try liquifying them then adding a little to the food then that way you can keep the liquid in the fridge what is the temperature of your pond at the moment is it above 10c , if not its too cold yet to feed them.
Not heard them acting like tis before with galrlic ours love it as do others koi who I've passed the tip onto .
It has to be temperature related
Possibly could be. I have a floating thermometer that shows just under 70 F (19-20 C).

Reaction score
At 70, they should be more than hungry ... have you tried the same food the previous owner was feeding? Maybe they are picky?

Ask a Question