Nick83

Jack of all trades, Master of none.
Reaction score
Weeki Wachee Florida, Home of the mermaids
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Well I have had an empty 8 gallon tank just sitting empty in my garage so I decided that I would start a new venture. At first I just wanted to start some moss to put in my goldfish aquarium and as I began to do research I ended up wanting to start a non mechanical planted tank. It has been going for a couple weeks now. I added some easy to grow plants and snails to get the cycle started. I plan on adding a shrimp and some platy once all my parameters are ready for some livestock other than snails. I started with black sand and wish I would've added nutrient rich soil in the beginning. I haven't added any fertilizer yet but made a DIY Co2 system and a sponge filter. But as I stated in the beginning I wanted non mechanical but I kinda caved because I don't have enough plants to filter the water yet. I'm trying to keep the costs low. So far it's looking good and waiting for the Co2 levels to climb a little. It's a fun little project that requires very little maintenance.
IMAG2351.jpg
15175454331561477919660.jpg

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
Yesterday I added 5 Neon Tetras and I plan to add 5 more in the coming days then I plan on getting some of another type little schooling fish. I have some Ludwigia red repens coming in the mail soon to give some color and provide more shade for the Tetras.

I really enjoy caring for my aquariums and just watching all my fish. I'm going to need a couple more tanks and a reason to build a stand for them haha

Attachments

• IMAG2366.jpg
    IMAG2366.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You should follow invertebrates by mzjinkz on YouTube, just type in Rachel O’Leary, she does great nano fish. The small schooling fish like tetras, assorted minnows, etc. I don’t do small fish, but I’d order from her if I did! She has an amazing set up. I’ve always preferred labrynth fish, like gourmies, Berta’s, and then my husband loves the black tip and balls sharks. Bigger, more visible, good color options.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
@JamieB thank you for the information, I will certainly check out her videos!

I already want to go up about 90 gallons so I can incorporate different species of fish and plants on a larger platform. I'm really liking the natural heavily planted aquariums with fish and shrimp swimming through the leaves, limbs , roots. This tank here is my entry level start up to get my feet wet, so to speak of and to see if I really do want to continue onward with heavily planted aquariums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I follow Rachel, joey at King if DIY, and Jenny at solid gold aquatics. If you are at all interested in building your own tank, filters, or backgrounds, watch joeys stuff. I just may end up building a custom tank over my bookshelf.

Nick83

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a/b
Country
United States
I follow Rachel, joey at King if DIY, and Jenny at solid gold aquatics. If you are at all interested in building your own tank, filters, or backgrounds, watch joeys stuff. I just may end up building a custom tank over my bookshelf.

Oh alright cool, Yea I follow king of DIY also. I love his videos and I love a good DIY project!

Ask a Question