New pond......3 dead fish today..argh

Reaction score
Nc,

You r pond is still new and probably not settled yet. It took my pond 2 mos to settle to the point where algae is under control. I did not like doing so, but I used Algae-fix (per instructions), then followed up with Eco-fix (per instructions) 2 weeks after I was done with the Algae-fix (people are going to start thinking I work for them......). My pond is clean, clear and thriving beyond my expectations (frogs, baby Koi, thriving plant-life etc.).

I don't think your PH is the problem (mine tests at 8 in the morning and 8.5 in the afternoon). I would bet that your problem lies in something getting into the pond via runnoff or through the filter material. Fertilizers will kill your fish. Not rinsing the filter out with water from the pond will (tap water) kill the good bacteria you need to control the algae. Get your pond stabilized. I have added several snails to control my algae growth now. Keep testing using a good test kit. The pond will settle down after a while and you can go au naturale like the majority of us.

You could also have purchased some bad fish......

Take all my advice as my experiance only, many of these guys have done this much longer and are experts, I'm just a lucky schmuck with a thriving pond.

Reaction score
My pond is getting near the 2 month stage, and my water is crystal clear (via 13w uv). The remianing fish are still doing well and remain healthy. The three fish that did die were all some of the smallest of the group, but one small one still exist and is doing good as well. I am begining to think I may have introduced a disease that took out the weekest of the lot and had little to no effect on the bigger healthier fish. Run-off should not be an issue ( I have built in a trough to catch and drain that away from the pond: as due to the construction it could only even possibly happen on the back side) with my setup and I have not fertilized in over 4 months.

I am sure that PH is not the root cause of the issue, but could be a contributing factor. What I do think is that lowering the Ph might help out the plant life.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I did hear something regarding I believe KVH that said that it can sit undetected until a temp spike. I have a local Koi dealer that said because of a lot of breakouts in this area that they always quarintine of course but they also like to raise the temp up to ?(can't remember the temp that was said) just to make sure. If you are really worried about that being a cause, I would read up more about how to make sure and check them out. Hope my "hear say" my help.

Ask a Question