New Pond Build

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thank You!

It's about to get even more zen-like, I just picked this up an hour ago!

901100_3163319618231_2082674296_o.jpg

I've been waiting for the right Japanese Maple for awhile now..I think I found it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like a lace leaf and really nice pic the color is great and it looks healthy also .Try lemon grass also as the lemon smell is great and can be grown in or out of the pond and it is very Asian or Oriental like .They use it to make a healthy tea and cook with it also .

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I'll see if I can find some around here. We do not have a lot of options without making the trip to Joplin, Mo, it's only about 20 minutes by turnpike but it feels longer with plants and/or fish in the car.

I want to put the maple in a large pot that is 18' wide and 32' tall, if anybody knows if that would be trouble please let me know since space is limited by my Pond right now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just need to make sure the pot drains good as those maples will get root bound fast and kill them selves .The more water they get the more roots they produce .Make sure you loosen the roots up when you repot it .The are also prone to root rot if to wet .I use sand and pea gravel and soil when I had mine in a pot .I gave it to my sister in law to plant in her garden after it was 5 years old it got really big fast here with the long growing season.She wanted one so bad but could not afford one .I was going to keep it but decided she deserved it .

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
That's nice, I know a lot of people like them but they can cost! I've wanted one for years but not only are they expensive but I didn't want to kill one off at that price. I got this one for $45 at my local nursery for a Mother's Day sale.

Updated the waterfall yesterday and added a second tier.

922561_3166879267220_1423952425_o.jpg

976539_3166880147242_968777628_o.jpg

I still need to level it and hide the hose. It seems to lean to the left a little.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put the white rock on one side too ,I think it brightens the pond up and your waterfall looks great .

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Well I went to a concert in Tulsa Saturday night and on the way home We had pretty bad storms and I woke up to the pond flooded with mud and water under the liner so I spent all day Sunday back filling dirt but it still isn't perfect.

After the bad storms again yesterday a little water got under the liner but nothing like before...

This is what it looked like Sunday!

977589_3180658731698_813673945_o.jpg

There was so much water under the liner that it drained the pond about 10 inches after pumping it back out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had about 4 inches of rain down here in about 5 hours. If that hit maryland we would be flooded out............... I have a good overflow spot so when we get heavy rains the water flows in the pond and out down the yard slope, towards the woods

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I thought it was around 1400 gallons, I'm not really sure though and I just checked the pond calculator and it is saying 1900. It is 8 x 16 and just over 2 feet deep.

Reaction score
Neo said:
Well I went to a concert in Tulsa Saturday night and on the way home We had pretty bad storms and I woke up to the pond flooded with mud and water under the liner so I spent all day Sunday back filling dirt but it still isn't perfect.

After the bad storms again yesterday a little water got under the liner but nothing like before...

This is what it looked like Sunday!

attachicon.gif
977589_3180658731698_813673945_o.jpg

There was so much water under the liner that it drained the pond about 10 inches after pumping it back out.
I dont know enough about installing to tell you the how to details, but you should have a spot where you choose it to overflow, and direct it away from the pond. On our pond, hubby dug a trench, laid a scrap of liner in the hole (overlapping the pond liner at the low spot he made), filled the trench with gravel, laid another scrap over the top, and then backfilled it ... cant tell it is there.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
We had about 4 inches of rain down here in about 5 hours. If that hit maryland we would be flooded out............... I have a good overflow spot so when we get heavy rains the water flows in the pond and out down the yard slope, towards the woods
missed your post til I just went back to read the rest ... need to read everything before responding LOL

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Definitely still have some work to do! I do have a low spot I left on purpose but I guess I need to make it drain away faster. I'm going to try to make the trench this weekend.

Mud is clearing but slowly this time for some reason and I'm not sure if I should clean out the filters or not since it's a bio filter I don't want to clean good bacteria, especially in a newer pond.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Not sure what media you have that is dirty but I suggest you go ahead and rinse it with water from the pond. That will reduce the impact of cleaning on the bacteria. Clean it as often as you need to until the water is cleared and do daily ammonia tests.

A clogged filter restricts nutrients to the bacteria. May as well clean it.

Ask a Question