j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Boy are you one lucky guy Larkin to have found that place for sale when you did! It is so pretty there and looks like everything is there that anyone would want to enjoy life. You have done a super job of making it even better than it was when you found it! Those are some nice fish you have in your pond and then you have a huge wild pond too! Wow how much better can it get? I think you will be showing us more as you go on how it can get even better!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Larkin, that is so cool that you feed your wild pond, and have a soft shell turtle coming in to be fed. How awesome is that! I have never tried to feed my farm pond fish, maybe I should, I may find out what is actually in there. :) I know there are carp, since 2 years ago there were 2 about 12" long each on the bank after heavy rains, probably were spawning, jumped out and kept wiggling and got farther from the pond rather than closer.
I've wanted to redig the pond, dig it deeper, fill in part of it that I don't actually need, but neighbor that has access to a dozer suggested I dig new pond, drain old into the new, THEN when summer comes and old pond dries out, dig out one end, into the other end, and have no black mud to dispose of. We shall see!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well the guys came and did the last coat of sealer on the patio. Finally I can start dressing up the pond and get the view at least some what presentable, at least more to my liking now. Going to start dressing off between the feeding deck and gazebo bridge first.
Caught these fellows on the trail came back in the woods. They stole the deer feeder block and I guess hauled it to a den in the woods. I've been feeding corn and feeder blocks to try and get the deer in more regularly. So far no pics on the trail cam of any deer. Gotten a few squirrels, some small birds and a feral cat that we have seen a few times. I kept finding the feeder block moved when I would go back and check but no signs. Figured it was a raccoon but wasn't 100% positive until this evening when I collected the SD card from the trail cam.
Then found this ribbon garter under the boat this afternoon. It was getting warm under the boat from the sun shining on the bottom of the boat. I took a few shots and let it go in the bog area. I've never had problems with this species bothering much other than a few frogs or lizards so I think it will be cool if it sticks around.

Attachments

• fish pics 045.JPG
    fish pics 045.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 210
  • fish pics 055.JPG
    fish pics 055.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 198
  • who knows 037.JPG
    who knows 037.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 186
  • who knows 042.JPG
    who knows 042.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 182
  • who knows 038.JPG
    who knows 038.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 187
  • who knows 002.JPG
    who knows 002.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 177

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks great and neat trail camera getting those bandits caught at the scene of the crime :ph34r:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Spent the day dressing the area between the the gazebo bridge and the feeding deck. Still have to come back and glue down and do something with the cap stone on the small retaining wall. Overall though, so much better to view than before. The first four pics are the dressed up area, the next four are the next projects on the agenda.

Attachments

• patio dressed 001.JPG
    patio dressed 001.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 241
  • patio dressed 002.JPG
    patio dressed 002.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 223
  • patio dressed 003.JPG
    patio dressed 003.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 282
  • patio dressed 004.JPG
    patio dressed 004.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 253
  • patio dressed 005.JPG
    patio dressed 005.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 241
  • patio dressed 006.JPG
    patio dressed 006.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 268
  • patio dressed 007.JPG
    patio dressed 007.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 243
  • patio dressed 008.JPG
    patio dressed 008.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 207
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, the stone work looks fantastic, love it , Larkin! And, wondering, is that a HUGE flat rock between feeding dock and the bridge? Is it covering something? Looks like a large skimmer (black) closer to the bridge, but wondering about that flat rock! Really neat!!! You sure are moving along now, lots of projects yet to be done, looks like. Always something, huh?
Love the ribbon snake, not seen one like that. Hope he decides to stay.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CE, that large rock used to be the base to the waterfall at the old house. It's a pretty neat looking rock and I kept trying to figure out something to do with it other than putting it in a waterfall and it getting covered in algae and never really seen. One afternoon I watch the dogs trying to get water from the deck and it's a little high, then they went to the other side and kept knocking rocks over in the pond so I got to thinking that it would be a good place for them to go up and get water and view the fish. LOL There isn't anything under it. It weighs about 300# so I really wouldn't want to lift it very often! Trying to figure something out that would hide the skimmer lid. I don't like it but they don't make a fake rock that big that will fit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Cool, Larkin, thought it was a rock. Great idea for the dogs. My dogs reach over into the water next to the skimmer to get drinks, since my pond is above ground level. I have a flat small rock that goes on top of one of my skimmers, since the lid was missing when I purchased it. Talked the guy into giving me a flat rock to use for the lid instead, which is great! Except, this morning I go out and notice the pump in that skimmer is not running, skimmer is floating, clogged, rock went into the pond, skidded across the bottom to the farthest point in the middle. Darn it! Hoping I don't tear the net getting it back out of there. Will have to take the pump out and clean it this evening. Clogged with leaves, etc. I suspect. Oh well! First time I will have had to take the pump apart this year, so that's pretty good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cool dog rock! Wish my yard looked like yours. Lots of work you put into it and it is paying off big time Larkin!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Had to share these pics of some visitors this week. The first ones are of a pair of river otters that have made a home in the slough. I just happened to walk up on them while walking in the woods. They were so cool and the one even would talk and blow at me. The next are a pair of unidentified ducks that came in. The male was only here for one day, the female has been here for about three weeks now. But she is very shy, the male was far more easy to get pics of.

Attachments

• otter.jpg
    otter.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 240
  • otterpair.jpg
    otterpair.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 195
  • wildducks.jpg
    wildducks.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 208
  • maleduck.jpg
    maleduck.jpg