New pond construction. The Water Garden Pond

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
After rolling the seam, you run a jet of air at a 45 degree angle aprox 1-2" back from the seam on both sides. If the air doesn't lift the edge it's suppose to be a good seal. I actually watched the Video that Firestone has along with a few on youtube and then one from Anjon that they sent. Both had this procedure so I figured it couldn't hurt to do it. Compressed air is a lot cheaper than trying to find a leak after the fact. lol One thing I did find out. Double stick tape goes in the middle, That is the 3" tape when it comes in a kit. 6" tape is single sided. that goes on top. I started off using the wrong tape and ruined the whole roll putting the single sided tape down first. Thankfully Anjon had another kit and over-nighted it to me. That was a $100 goof up! mark that as another lesson learned in the adventure as well. :)

Reaction score
The air test sounds like a good idea. Certainly better than nothing.

I like to think of these things as $100 lessons. Cheaper than taken a class. I can read and read but nothing focuses the mind like actually doing something. Look at how much you've learned. It may not seem like it now but you will probably see pond building differently from here in out and look back on this experience as valuable. Priceless in my book.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was told by olympic stains and sealers that they recommend at least a month around ponds where fish are concerned and at least 2 weeks curing time for the wood before I seal it or stain it .It will give the wood time to shrink and dry out and then after 2 weeks seal and stain and then to make sure it is 100 % safe give it a month after sealing and staining before installing .Most pressure treated now is treated with a safe chemical .I bought what they call salt treated and even then it shrunk almost an inch in 2 weeks .I am just naturally sealing it .Not sure if all the stain company's are the same .I was also told if I wanted to do a pergola on my back deck to make sure they do not rot or twist to wrap them in another kind of boards .I thought of using the composite wood to wrap them .Wood these days is all new growth trees and not as stable and will twist as it cures and dries out .I got a moisture meter to test the wood for moisture content

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy, I hadn't thought of checking on that. I'm using pressure treated on most of all the wood, I didn't even think about the stained wood leaching after it dried. I have used the same stain on the other deck and no problems, Most of the decking and stained wood is over liner that drains away from the pond. I did do this in case someone spilled a drink or something it wouldn;t end up in the pond. All the overhanging wood will be under a metal roof and only about 8" overhang over the pond itself. I wanted the appearance that the two ponds were connected but not actuall connected at all I have been very careful to do all the staining away from the pond and allowing all the stain to dry before using. The only staining near the pond I'm doing personally. I've been being extra careful but thanks for the heads up. Hopefully what precautions I have taken are enough. ??? Got me wondering now...

Reaction score
Perhaps the one month recommendation is to make sure pockets of stain dry. Where it pools in cracks.

Once dry I don't see how a water base stain would leech anything in any meaningful amount and not as a water soluble material. I mean it wouldn't be very useful if it washed off in the rain. UV and wear does break it down but that would be tiny dry bits, not water soluble. I've read many times in pond forums of people saying stained decks leech stuff and kill fish but it seemed like normal forum talk. I have never heard of fish dying after a deck was stained. I'm sure it does happen by coincidence. Given the number of ponds with attached decks I'd expect to hear about a lot of fish deaths if it really were a problem.

Oil stains would float on the pond surface and eventually stick to the sides I should think. Not water soluble at any rate.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be just the company being extra careful and protecting them selves from any law suits also .Can't really blame them .I just figure if I used the salt treated I would wait for the wood to dry out like the lumber yard said and then install that way i would not have to worry about shrinkage .I precut all the pieces and ready to go but figured I would do what they said since they would know more about there wood than i do .I guess with newer growth wood you never know what to expect .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Perhaps the one month recommendation is to make sure pockets of stain dry. Where it pools in cracks.

Once dry I don't see how a water base stain would leech anything in any meaningful amount and not as a water soluble material. I mean it wouldn't be very useful if it washed off in the rain. UV and wear does break it down but that would be tiny dry bits, not water soluble. I've read many times in pond forums of people saying stained decks leech stuff and kill fish but it seemed like normal forum talk. I have never heard of fish dying after a deck was stained. I'm sure it does happen by coincidence. Given the number of ponds with attached decks I'd expect to hear about a lot of fish deaths if it really were a problem.

Oil stains would float on the pond surface and eventually stick to the sides I should think. Not water soluble at any rate.

Thanks for thos post, that's a little reassuring and makes sense. Kind of what I was thinking but when Sissy posted it did get me thinking. For precaution I rigged up a tarp under the deck on the side that does have fish. I got it installed after a very short rain shower and was able to get it adjusted so that the water that drips off the deck and on the tarp it will go out in the yard and not in the pond right now. It's been raining all day today and the fish seem to be loving it. No problems so far, I even thought for a while I had some Koi doing some chasing but if they were spawning it was just a spot spawning. They are doing a lot of surface swimming but it appears more play and enjoying new water. Not like they are gasping or anything.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Larkin when your Koi pond is finished it is truly going to be spectacular! I am enjoying your builds and really glad its not me. Although I think next year we will add a stream of some kind to ours. Ponding is so addicting. :goldfish:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Lena, I think my wife is about ready to admit me to mental ward. She says I passed addicted after the first pond. I thought her jaw was going to hit the floor when I showed her the plans for the next two ponds after this. LOL We still have to build a greenhouse and the nursery for the aquatic plants. These two will be for my personal collection. The next ponds are going to be for raising plants then the plan is building some smaller holding tanks for keeping fish for sale. I have been hoping things would go a little faster. I am starting to to wonder if we will be able to the nursery started this year. Hopefully by next spring though maybe some of the project will be up and functioning so we can start getting some returns on the investment. LOL Wishful thinking???

Reaction score
I have been hoping things would go a little faster.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, every project I've ever done. I'm getting ready to start another project and I actually caught myself thinking it's going to go fast...yeah, right. When jumping off a cliff I think it's best not to look first.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, Your 100% corrrect on that one! I started filling the pond last night and been working the wrinkles out of the liner. My Good hearted wife said she was turning the water off and the lights and locking up. I took the dogs out to there house and headed for bed. Needless to say, the wife can't remember that right is tight and left is loose. (Thank goodness she's not a blond!) LOL anyway, this morning the pond is 75% full and full of wrinkles that won't budge. So there goes about 5-6000 gallons of water that will have to be pumped out so I can get the wrinkles out.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
on the seams...my first pond, the liner went in in three pieces..very strong and no leaks.. i did however have the benefit of 20+ years of carpet, lino, and vinyl floor installation experience...done miles and miles of seam work. i prepped my seams with acetone, used 6' wide single sided tape.on one side.and 3" or 4" strip of liner, bulldog contact cememted on the other... you couldnt pull it apart! tape and liner made a 15 x 15 liner for $80.00...45 mil epdm. did the seam work on a well swept garage floor

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
OH MY Larkin! All that water down the drain so to speak! Your poor wife prolly felt awful but you got to see what it will look like almost full of water anyways :rolleyes:
Go for a nice swim before or while you are draining it :razz:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Started pumping water out at 8am, It's now 3:30pm and we have dropped the water level a whopping 5" only 5" to go, maybe a little more so I can get a Huge wrinkle out of the bottom where it comes up the side. I would leave it but it's at least 6" of liner that would put the seam far closer to the surface. Got all the metal roof installed on the gazebo now just waiting on the ridge caps to arrive. Starting on the landing for the front yard for the entrance to the Gazebo and then have to form the last cement walkway to be installed. YIPPEEE! I sure hope the concrete finisher can show up this week.

Ask a Question