New Pond, First Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just recalled I took some pics of the rocks I looked at a few weeks ago. Any opinions on which would look best?

Nice large fairly easily stackable due to their shape.
4A2F0B4E-068C-4543-8BEE-7671759E4A4F.jpeg

Same rock but smaller. Maybe get a pallet of large and 1-2 of this size?
1FE2CBFE-F55E-4D22-A551-D10526DA7A71.jpeg

New England Round. Really like these as they are true stones found around in fields and old farm rock walls. Much more difficult to stack though.
F7D76563-8479-4D46-B1ED-687BAB725160.jpeg

More NE Round
AC9BC1D8-FDB4-4238-B1C9-466BCD130441.jpeg

Then there is this.
FBFDC1F5-B462-4A98-8C14-24B6D5D6D4E3.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Lisak1, Tks! I think it’s starting to come together nicely. More work to do but it is fun and can’t wait to get back at it, even took Friday off from work to do it! Good point about the rocks as I had read that here on the forum previously, it may have even been yourself posting it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Totally a personal choice. Don't be fooled by the round ones - they really aren't hard to stack. Gaps can be filled with smaller stones.

The rock I would be more picky about is the rock you'll see - the waterfall and edging rocks. And for those I would recommend the largest rocks you can handle. A few big rocks look much more natural than a whole bunch of small rocks in a waterfall. You're watching the Pond Digger - he builds great three boulder waterfalls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Don't you just love The Pond Digger? I rocked the inside of my pond with round, softball-sized rocks, then filled the gaps with waterfall foam and gravel. I did the straight side down on one side also. It wasn't bad at all -- but my pond is pretty small.

Attachments

• rock wall 2.jpeg
    rock wall 2.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 103
  • a rock wall 1.jpg
    a rock wall 1.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@mgmine that was one of my original plans but my wife wants the pond as close to the patio as possible so opted for another.
I agree with your wife especially if you lay pavers or stones between the patio and the pond. Mowing a thin strip of grass can be problematic. The cuttings end up in the pond, on the patio, or catch them. My supervisor wanted plantings in several specific places which eventually made mowing a nuisance in the tight/small areas. The solution was strip the sod and plant mulch. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
shrude Kd shrude go with the Mrs wishes or at least she thinks you are but in secrete your building the small upper pond and the much larger bass pond comes latter at the bottom of the slope ….Shrude

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good question @RobAmy. I am following The Pond Digger design where he likes to have a steep drop and no shelves where one walks up to the pond to look in. I like the idea so followed along but do feel it will be a bit of a challenge to rock. My intent as it is now would be to stack rocks of reasonable size on top of one another. Saying this and doing this is two different things though as dry stacking is a bit of an art. I hope to take a trip out to the rock yard today and decide the type of rock to use and that may dictate things.
Dry stacking is an art and even then you don't want to have to try and work with it down the road . You could use spray foam for water falls creation to add a quick blob to set the rock quickly.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you want to save money on rocks, you can make a very nice rocked edge around the pond without stacking rocks in the pond.
Also the rocks in the pond remove water space from the fish. I have had rocks in the pond, but prefer just liner.
Make a shallow shelf stack rocks on it up and out of the pond. Hides the liner beautifully.
pnd.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to save money on rocks, you can make a very nice rocked edge around the pond without stacking rocks in the pond.
Also the rocks in the pond remove water space from the fish. I have had rocks in the pond, but prefer just liner.
Make a shallow shelf stack rocks on it up and out of the pond. Hides the liner beautifully.
View attachment 120965

Thanks @addy1, I have been bouncing this back and forth and know that some do not have stones in their ponds and some do. I like your drawing as it makes a lot of sense. I am planning on having some for a couple reasons, one prefer the look and two it will be similar to my Mum’s pond which is what my wife has been wanting for so long. I am thinking cheaper stones for the sides and nicer ones for the edges and landscape around the pond in general. I am even planning some large 1000lb ones in the landscaping to try and achieve the “look” I want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
View attachment 120965
Great drawing! This is how I did mine, but I also have another ledge for plants. I imagine addy's drawing didn't depict the plant shelf since the conversation was concerning rocks hiding the liner.

Ask a Question