New pond gravel on bottom?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
well I decided against using the old pond and filled it in and just dug a larger whole to the north of it instead where the new pond will be. This pond will be 13 x 10 and I had to build up on the south side of it to make it level. Tamping away everytime I put dirt up on the mound...fun fun...just another foot down to go! Slowly but surely getting there as with the renovation of the house and yard the pond has taken a back burner...fencing has to be put up all around the back yard first and we only have one side done but I couldn't resist digging some more on the pond today in our 96 degree weather! Thank goodness my old pond is up and running at the old place (daughter moved in there) and she's fishsitting until I get this one done! My hands are never going to forgive me...lol but darnit I cant wait for this thing to be done it's driving me nuts!!!

Attachments

• P7181279.JPG
    P7181279.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 327
  • P7181278.JPG
    P7181278.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I agree with what everyone said about the gravel. No gravel. I put rocks (not gravel, but not big rocks either) in the most shallow level of my pond when I built it. The first spring there was so much gunk built up in them I had to pull them all out to clean it. I never put them back. Just awful!

BTW, One thing I have seen done by one of the guys here is large rocks with mortar in between them. As long as every void is filled with mortar you end up with a completely solid base of rocks and the muck can't hide between and below them.

Seems like that would be the best alternative to not seeing liner and not dealing with muck in rocks. But it would also be costly to do and awful if you ever had a liner issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My 50th bday present today ...the kids decided to dig more for me and when we sized up the liner I believe I can go abit bigger since there is plenty to even go up the waterfall!!! yaaaaa!

Attachments

• P7191289.JPG
    P7191289.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 368
  • P7191288.JPG
    P7191288.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 387
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh thats my son sizing it up for me lol he's like it looks bigger now...ha ha ha um nope we can add another at least foot around the edges!! lol good try though since he and his two friends were the ones digging the 3' part lol

Ask a Question