New Pond High PH and Phosphates

Reaction score
When adding plants you should always wash all of the dirt on the roots off. Then plant in a more pond friendly media. Most plants come in potting mix with lots of fertilizers and organics. That is probably the source of phosphates.

Do you have any rocks or stones of any kind in the pond? Any concrete bricks or pavers touching the water? Also, what type of rock is your pond edge made of?

Water changes will not kill the bacteria as long as you use declorinater.

Carpet alge on the waterfall and rocks is normal and good for the pond.

You said your filter is in your waterfall? The 2000gph flow might be a little high for the filter to have enough time to break stuff down.

And as for the water clearity. Pond water will never be tap water clear(clear with almost a blue tint like a pool). It will be clear, but with a slight tea color tint. But you should still see threw it easily. Take a look real close to the water in a sunny area. Do you see very fine particles floating around? You can try adding some quilt battling to catch the super fines.

Reaction score
OK, I will take a shot at the potted plants and replace the dirt with the pond planting medium I have. Pond structure is rubber liner with mostly granite rocks, however, my waterfall is built mainly from flat flagstone. Could these be messing up my PH and phospates?

Yes my filter is in the waterfall. I know now that it's not the best place for it but that's why I'm posting in the newbie section :lol: I think that it would be a major overhaul of the pond to move the filter to a stand-alone job. It may be possible to add a skippy type just behind the waterfall but I am a little limited for space. Not too sure how I would do it yet.

My next pond will definitely be larger, deeper and with a massive filtration plant ;).

What dechlorinator products do you use and how are the used? I have been using 'pondcare stress coat plus' but have just been dumping it in the pond after dropping the level, then refilling with fresh tap water. Is that a bad way to do it?

Regards,

Larry

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Flagstone is ok Larry. Change you plant medium and see what happens. If you run out of what you have, unscented non clumping cat litter will work(crushed clay) and is alot cheaper then stuff from the pond store.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
On the dechlor I use Prime for anything major(over 15%) which hasn't happened in a while. You can add water with a trickle set up and not have to dechlorinate because it is mixing in with the pond water at a slower rate. There was a thread here on how to grow large koi and that was his method. If you can, get a large rubbermaid can and do 65 gallons at time if you want to be safe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you use kitty litter clay for your plants make sure it is pure clay, no additives. Not sure if you have walmart up there, their cheapest litter is pure clay, red bag.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
If you use kitty litter clay for your plants make sure it is pure clay, no additives. Not sure if you have walmart up there, their cheapest litter is pure clay, red bag.

Yes we do have Walmart but sometimes their inventory is different from the US Stores. Any way, I won't be needing that just yet, as I had already got out a mortgage for the pond planting medium - large bag, which looks much like the kitty litter you described.

We'll see if that helps to reduce the phosphates a bit. Measured 1.0 this evening. How soon should I expect any result from changing the soil to 'kitty litter'?
PH is still showing 9.0 (highest on my test kit).

Regards,
Larry

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gohabsgo said:
Yes we do have Walmart but sometimes their inventory is different from the US Stores. Any way, I won't be needing that just yet, as I had already got out a mortgage for the pond planting medium - large bag, which looks much like the kitty litter you described.

We'll see if that helps to reduce the phosphates a bit. Measured 1.0 this evening. How soon should I expect any result from changing the soil to 'kitty litter'?
PH is still showing 9.0 (highest on my test kit).

Regards,
Larry

they do make a nice pond planting medium, I am just too cheap to buy it lol

Good use that to repot your plants, I would do a partial water change to get (if it was the soil and fertilizer) some of the junk out of the water.

A quick net search says water change and cleaning is one of the best methods.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you plant your plants in peagravel and cover the gravel in 1"- 2" river rock. the roots will have direct access to the ponds water and you will never have to fertilize again!...theres a number of folks here that have converted to peagravel and are very happy with the results. plants in clay just dont draw the nutrients from the water as well. this aprovides the added veggy filtration that can really detoxify and clarify a ponds water. in time the roots will grow outside the pot(s) and draw even more nutrients and.the less available nutrients the less alge as well! exposed roots are why floaters such as hyacinths and lettuce do such a good job at nutrient removal! pond irises can be planted bare root as well and will grow huge root balls,,,providing filtation and asafe habitat / hiding spot for fry

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Joan martinez said:
I am new to the pond life.I am about to give up!!!!My pond is now just stressing me out.It is 8x10 aprox 3ft deep in the center,with a shallow ridge.I have a tetra gravity discharge filter and a submersible filter the pump is 1000 GPH.My Ph is 7.My fish are miserable.All laying at the bottom or on the shallow ridge in a group.What am I doing wrong.Should I do away with one filter?Oh I have a water fountain.I have bought all sorts of additives..Ph up,Ph down,pond clear and ammono lock.I have had a lot od fish die on me...should I just fill the pond in and give up...

Welcome Joan. You should introduce youself in a thread and im sure we can help you.

Reaction score
I'm new(er) at ponds than you but I am wondering if perhaps your capacity is underestimated at 300gal. 8 x 10 is larger surface than mine (6 x 4 oval) but I calculated my volume at 480gal. There is a good pond calculator somewhere on the www that helps you get an accurate volume - just google for 'pond calculator'.

Do you have any plants for oxygen? What about waterfall? Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrites? I have read that drastic changes in PH are much more harmful than too low or too high PH. PH should not be adjusted harshly.

If your pond size is only 300gal then your pump should be fine provided that the water is circulating. A fountain alone in a pond with that surface area may not be circulating the water sufficiently. Tell us more about your pond and any water tests you have done.

Regards,
Larry

Reaction score
Repost the issues you are having in a new thread Joan. That way we can assist you directly without hijacking another persons thread.

Thanks, and look forward to helping you soon.

Reaction score
Was sad to come home today ... feeding the fish and noticed the one that ate from my hand for the first time yesterday was missing. I finally found him/her lying on the bottom of my plant shelf beside a pot. This was the first dead fish, the smallest of my larger Koi.

Need to get my pond water better soon.

Regards,
Larry

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
gohabsgo said:
Was sad to come home today ... feeding the fish and noticed the one that ate from my hand for the first time yesterday was missing. I finally found him/her lying on the bottom of my plant shelf beside a pot. This was the first dead fish, the smallest of my larger Koi.

Need to get my pond water better soon.

Regards,
Larry

Sad the hear Larry. How are things today? Better I hope.

Ask a Question