sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats a few to many fish for that size pond sorry to say .Koi produce a lot of waste and feeding them everyday just makes it worse .I have koi believe me it takes a lot to keep the water clean I have 2 filters 2 pumps one going to each filter.Sorry welcome to the sight .Koi get huge also

Reaction score
koidaddy said:
Sad the hear Larry. How are things today? Better I hope.

Water's looking clearer. One of my small koi seems to be hiding now (hopefully). I don't usually visit the pond during the day though. Maybe he only comes out later.

Will retest the water tonight and see if any improvements are happening.

Cheers,
Larry

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that is part of life, you learn as you go and esp with ponds, make a mistake and learn!

Reaction score
It's been a week or so, with warm temperatures and my nitrites and ammonia are zero. PH is still 9.0 and phospates are 1.0. Water is clear and my plants are growing like mad. Shouldn't this plant growth be consuming the phosphates?

Regards,
Larry

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes they do remove some but it will be at a very slow rate, may take weeks before you actually see any difference by testing.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Personally if the tests are accuratte I would leave alone if all looks to be doing well, I think you'll see the PH drop in time, Goldfish shouldn't be bothered at all with those conditions, Koi like it a little lower but adjusting the PH to fast can have bad effects, if they are used to it now wait and see if it starts dropping on its on. If you absolutly need to lower the PH in the size pond you have you could probably use aquarium PH - just be sure and not drop it more than .2-.4 in any 24-48 hour period of time.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gohabsgo, my pond ph went high to 10ish, I left it be waited it out, my plants grew, etc then ph dropped down by itself. Now sitting around 7.5,

I adopted the thought process if the fish were feeding, fry were hatching everything seemed healthy and happy to leave the pond alone rather than take a chance.

I do not have koi .......gf and shubunkins tend to be a little more forgiving.

Reaction score
From what I've read and learned a high ph @ 9 isn't that bad as long as its stable and your other readings are normal

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That also is one reason I quit fussing about it, figured I could do more damage trying to get it to drop then leaving it alone. All other tests are and have been zero since the beginning of spring, no issues with anything except soft water and was high ph, which is now normal. And the water is a little harder.

Ask a Question