New Pond Owner!

Reaction score
:4_13_71: These three things are an must for a healthy, happy pond. Filtration, Circulation, Airation. With out them your pond will turn into a stink hole. The gravel bottom will only compound the problem because you cannot clean the gunk out of it.

Reaction score
Iv'e given up on making another pond, instead im going to focus on getting a 4 foot aquarium setup, since it is much more easier.

Also, my friend had a pond with no filtration it basically cleaned it self(Water was clear), but i guess that is rare.

The wall retainer was holding alot of dirt, but im not going to take the risk since the body coporates might blame me for any leaks in the garage (Since the pond is above the garage)

And i heard having gravel on the pond is a good idea since it promotes good bacteria growth.

Now, i need to know if i can keep a pond lily in my fish tank with fluro light, i read some details it won't grow unless it has direct sunlight. And im not sure if it would live if it would live if i have a hood on the fish tank.

So if anyone can help me out with this issue i would be greatly thankful.

Thanks agian,

Calvin

Reaction score
calvino said:
Also, my friend had a pond with no filtration it basically cleaned it self(Water was clear), but i guess that is rare.

this depends on how big the pond is, how many fish, what kind of plants, etc

rvmarnie

Marnie
Reaction score
Hi...I am in the process of building a pond 16.5 x 8 x 3 (deepest). That is about 3000 gal?? It does not have any plants in it. How full do I put it for the winter? And, should I leave it or put fish in it for this winter Zone 5, Ontario, Canada?? And, you talk about an air stone....just a large fish tank one is good enough?? I appreciate your input.

Reaction score
if you don't have any fish in now. I would not put any in right before winter. You have never cycled the pond . I am in Zone 5 as well and it will freeze over and needs a hole open in the ice. See this thread on Ottawa forum on how best to keep a hole open in the ice for gas exchange. http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=39666.0

You don't need too lower the water level for winter.

Ask a Question