New pond planting

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome.

Please look into fishless cycling. Filtering the water is fine but that won't help you get a nitrogen cycle established and that is essential for your pond.

Not sure what you mean about treating the water. What did you use?

I plant in river rocks or gravel. Pond plants don't need soil since they pull nutrients from the water. Rocks are much less messy and as jw said, fish will root around in soil and dig up the plants.

Sorry I feel strange butting in on this thread however I am almost to the point of finishing my bog and thinking of what and how to plant.

Are you saying ALL water plants are happy being planted in pea gravel only or just the one in the picture shared here? If your saying, yes Are there Any exceptions to that for specific plants?

I’ve noticed on water plants, the suppliers often encourage planting media.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everyone is welcome to participate so please join in.

As mrsclem said, those folks want your money, the more you spend the better it is for them.

The only plants I don't put in rocks are water lilies. I plant those in sand. Others use plain cat litter or even clay from their yards if they have it.

Whatever you use, be sure it is free of any additives, especially lawn chemicals.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's great. Thank you! I'm really happy I didn't purchase any media yet. I thought about it but decided to hold off. I'm glad I did.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As I keep saying plants would love a little soil to get there nutrients and maybe some fertilizers from. What's more important to you the plants and there growth or plants sitting in gravel that get their nutrients from the water. Which is by far better from the health of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I keep saying plants would love a little soil to get there nutrients and maybe some fertilizers from. What's more important to you the plants and there growth or plants sitting in gravel that get their nutrients from the water. Which is by far better from the health of the pond.
@GBBUDD we'll get it one day. Thanks for your advice and patience. I have literally scrapped several things (bad ideas) because of your help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Hope your all ok. See attached photo the pond been running little time now. We planted into gravel that’s fine I’ve noticed the pond gone a little green. It’s pump all the time, it’s pump to waterfall then back into the pond. The pump is only small compact one put ok for the pond size any idea why it’s gone green. Thanks Graham

Attachments

• 0E1613C5-68E4-48AE-83FD-D51241AA6E84.jpeg
    0E1613C5-68E4-48AE-83FD-D51241AA6E84.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 13

Ask a Question