New pond pump sizing Q

Reaction score
Just dug out the bulk for my pond.
Aprox finished size will be 5,500L (1,210 UK gal)

No intent for fish, but want to build in a waterfall to pool aprox 1m (36" height)

Does anybody know what is considered the right amount of water flow to a waterfall ... or is there no correct size ?

Pump + filter(with UV) data sheet shows 4000 Lph (880 gph) may be my choice

but it also lists next size down ... 2500 Lph (550 Gph) as just about the size ... just concerned, while that may be right for keeping pond clean, will it provide enough flow to waterfall ...

anybody any guide ... or do I need to try and do some science project with hosepipe to look see what it would look like ?

Reaction score
Purely an aesthetic choice. How the falls is built can be a factor, like if some water can get behind rocks.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
also, depending upon how you build the waterfall, how much splashing you get might determine whether or not you want to cut back on the flow. .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true how much noise you want and how much electric bill would be .You want a little noise but you don't want to deafen people either .They will all be standing around yelling at each other to be heard ,not a great atmosphere . :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
turtle-welcome-to-the-group.gif
sargan
I've got a 2500gal pond w/ a pump that is a 2400gph and actually I would like more waterfall flow cuz by the time it goes up to the top of the falls it loses some power so I'd go w/ the bigger one if I was you but that's just my choice.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Oh yeah, as far as a chioce between the two pumps, i'd always go with the bigger one and you can put in a splitter with ball valves on it to cut the flow to the waterfall back if you want. You can never make the smaller pump pump more, but you can dial back the bigger pump.

Reaction score
I'm pumping 2000gph into my waterfall pit and dividing the water about 60/40 to 2 chutes. I love how the smaller fall looks, but the main one isn't quite strong enough. I'm probably not going to worry about it now, but if I ever get bored I'll probably plumb my skimmer pump into the waterfall as well. I think another source of water will really make that main fall look amazing.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sargan;
To provide a flow of water 1/4" thick and 1" wide, you need 100 gph. If your waterfall is 18" wide, you would need a pump that will give you 1800 gph at the height of the pipe providing water to your falls. This will give you a decent flow over the falls, and avoid the old "Chinese water torture" effect.
John

Reaction score
My pump is on it's way - it's 880 gph (1056 US gal) ... wow they exaggerate on everything :razz:

Reaction score

Ask a Question