New pond & waterfall build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Lovely! You are like me and went with the rock-lined method! So far, I am happy with mine -- but I am definitely OK with the "natural look" (algae growing on stuff, etc.)
Your work is really nice!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@Lisak1 @sissy @addy1 @Tula @PossumsDad @Gordo33 @RobAmy @Usman -- Thanks for the comments on the progress so far!

I'll definitely post a video of the water running when it's done [hopefully this weekend]. I'll also post the collection of time-lapse video of the entire build (will try to get that video down to 6-7 minutes).

I went through four 12-oz cans of the black waterfall foam -- sprayed in between every nook and cranny I could find surrounding each cascade. I guess a lot of that went towards wasted foam since the foam started rising out of the crevices several minutes after I sprayed it.
I used LOTS of foam, too. I probably didn't need that much, but after a while, you just start to enjoy it! Foam therapy...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
very nice waterfall , great work
one variation u can try ... i dont know if its possible in ur project but u can try , let the water fall directly on the water surface instead of stone , it wil have different visual on the water surface and sound too , i love that effect and if its falling in front of fishes they enjoy too as it will have more current and bubles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies and kind comments @bagsmom, @cas, @Usman, @addy1.

@Usman,

I agree about the last steps in the cascade falling into the water. That's the look I originally was going for but ended up buying flagstone that just wasn't deep enough to reach far enough out into the pond (actually, I was hoping they would reach the water but after putting in the rocks underneath, it was too short). I'll probably head over to the landscaping place this week to look for two more bigger pieces of flagstone and reconstruct that section of the waterfall... ugh.

@bagsmom,

Yup, I want the natural look as well with rocks covering every inch of liner (I've read a lot of different viewpoints on this and that the liner will be covered with algae so will reduce the visibility of the liner but I've seen photos and I can still see the liner. I do hope that with goldfish and no koi... and a lot of pond plants, I only end up with some algae and not an algae problem. Time will tell... :)

Johnny

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love lights on waterfalls .I can't have up lights because hubby had eye surgery and cannot look at any lights directly .He can't even drive at night ,even with the special tinted windows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Amazing ..... the rock work with lighting accents is awesome. How wide is the falls where the water enters the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Thanks for the replies and kind comments @bagsmom, @cas, @Usman, @addy1.

@Usman,

I agree about the last steps in the cascade falling into the water. That's the look I originally was going for but ended up buying flagstone that just wasn't deep enough to reach far enough out into the pond (actually, I was hoping they would reach the water but after putting in the rocks underneath, it was too short). I'll probably head over to the landscaping place this week to look for two more bigger pieces of flagstone and reconstruct that section of the waterfall... ugh.

Johnny
yes i understand , u did great 1st time , waterfall is not that easy and cant b perfect 1st time , it can b improved always , bro u can do one trick , add some stones below that last flagstone and place another flagstone (u can take one from middle) just where its ending like a step that will extend its reach and take water directly to the pond , u just need to find a way to make it look interesting , uil see improvement in sound and i love that circles wave formation in water

with the pebble cover at the bottom u cud have used it for under gravel filter easily just by sucking water thru some piples laid under it

thnx for sharing ur beautiful project it was awsome and end result is going well , waiting fo fishes and final touches :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
yes i understand , u did great 1st time , waterfall is not that easy and cant b perfect 1st time , it can b improved always , bro u can do one trick , add some stones below that last flagstone and place another flagstone (u can take one from middle) just where its ending like a step that will extend its reach and take water directly to the pond , u just need to find a way to make it look interesting , uil see improvement in sound and i love that circles wave formation in water

with the pebble cover at the bottom u cud have used it for under gravel filter easily just by sucking water thru some piples laid under it

thnx for sharing ur beautiful project it was awsome and end result is going well , waiting fo fishes and final touches :)

Thanks @Usman, that's not a bad idea. I would still prefer to have the final water fall into the pond from the current bottom two flagstone position as that was the look I originally had in mind when I designed the waterfall so will likely bite the bullet and reconstruct that area this weekend.

I'm anxious to get fish in the pond as well. Waiting for my plants order to arrive (from pond megastore) before I add fish. I hope the plants ship next week.

Ask a Question