New pond

would a small pool filter work for this?

• w

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • qw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
the timbers will be on a layer of bricks. keeping them off the ground.
i have a 1500gph pool filter with a removable element that i can clean or replace. then i was going to use a waterfall box to make a secondary bio filter. thanks. i am new to this and any helpful hints would be grateful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I saw this photo when I was working on my pond earlier this year. In principle, my current pond design is similar but half of the pond is underground and the rest above ground was built with concrete and landscaping blocks. I about 2000 gallons. There is a Laguna MaxFlo pump supplying the waste water to the bottom of the bog and the water travels up to the spill ways on top. However before getting into the pond, I have a canister filter to separate out the large debris. Real happy with the design and effectiveness so far, pond is super clear and water quality is pretty much spot on. As others have mentioned, get the right substrate in the filter, as pool filter media were not intended to clear out crude like you find in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Copper is poisonous to fish and algae and the fungicides will cause you to have water quality issues.
Your algae will suffer as well and algae is an important part of a healthy pond ecosystem.
Pressure treated wood is not generally recommended for pond construction where the chemicals could leach into the water.

Mitch, I was thinking to build a small structure in the pond to create a canopy of the net, If not PT wood, what are options?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
not sure why do you ask?
A bridge made out of pressure treated wood, wiped out my entire pond years ago (when I didn't know better) , every time it rained my fish acted drunk, until one day they all die

Ask a Question