New pondie needs help!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am renting a property and inherited a pond. I live in the metro Atlanta area. I have no idea the measurements, due to this being a man built pond ( no plastic premade...dug out..built up with cinder blocks over a tree stump) the fountain I have has to be cleaned so often. I've attempted to cover a crate with batting, and doing algefix treatments every 3 days. I want to cry! This pond is home to a bullfrog and about 30 goldfish. I do not want to drain, but would like to see the fish swimming. I am looking for pond plants to purchase, but our current pandemic...yeah! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 15909554662428479365381005015294.jpg
    15909554662428479365381005015294.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 106

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you need shade and plants and water movement and a aerator .Koi clay binds the algae and sends it to a filter .,which you need

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) Well you've got yourself some pea soup...but do not despair ! @sissy is correct, some shade, more water circulation , pond plats and aeration will all help.

We have a shade sail over our pond. Do you have anything to attach a shade sail to ? They're pretty cheap, we got ours at Costco. Also a patio umbrella would help....or rigging up landscape fabric on poles.

A lot of us like https://webbsonline.com They have a good reputation and fair pricing. You can order online , which frankly is how a lot of pond business is done these days with fewer pond brick and mortar stores around. Take a look at the aerators and pumps / filters.

Look into ordering some floating pond nets or make your own with nylon window screening , pool noodle and zip ties. If you can't find water hyacinth, water lettuce or other floating plants....trying looking for water lettuce and water celery in the produce section of your grocer. Also, I've had very good luck growing impatiens in floating nets.

Depending on the depth of your pond you could set pots of hostas and elephant etas in the pond. I am mentioning these plants in case you have trouble locating pond plants.

Don't despair, gold fish are pretty hardy fish. STOP the algaecide treatments at once and read up on the "nitrogen cycle". Make sure you use a de chlorinator if you use city water treated with chlorine. Also, invest in an API water testing kit.......test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. From the looks of your pond I bet you have high phosphates too.

Again, welcome and do not despair :)

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all those quick fixes are money makers for companies .Tula is right about plants ,just go to a garden center and ask for plants that like wet roots .They are easy to find or if you can look up and see if you have a pond store near you ,that would help .Elephant ears ,banana plants and cannas all like wet feet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow! Is that a lovely shade of green or what! Say a grateful thank you to that algae, as it's keeping your fish safe while you figure out the issue.

Plants, plants, plants! Georgia has been open for weeks! Get yourself to a nursery and get some plants! Heck I live in IL where we are still practically on house arrest and I was at the nursery today and spent LOTS of money! They need you and your wallet! haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow! Is that a lovely shade of green or what! Say a grateful thank you to that algae, as it's keeping your fish safe while you figure out the issue.

Plants, plants, plants! Georgia has been open for weeks! Get yourself to a nursery and get some plants! Heck I live in IL where we are still practically on house arrest and I was at the nursery today and spent LOTS of money! They need you and your wallet! haha!
While the Governor might have opened it...I have a family member that is very high risk....I also don't like to go downtown..... I've checked with Hone Depot and Lowe's no water plants...yet. I will be wandering to Atlanta Water Gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
you need shade and plants and water movement and a aerator .Koi clay binds the algae and sends it to a filter .,which you need

I'm thinking of purchasing the Tetra flat box and then a spill away box...filling it with the sponge...quilt batting and lava rock.....for a waterfall.....do you think this will help? It says it's up to 500 gallons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well all i can see is a vat/pond . no filter? I know it is probably not in the cards right now but a bog filter can help big time.
Like you said batting and pushing water through a milk crate or a bucket with holes to alow water to drain out can help as well.
If you built a raised bog 30% of the pond surface area is how large the bog should be there are many blogs here that show how they built there's and how it works.
Pressure treated lumber as far as i know is not in short supply epdm is harder to find these days but justliners .com has come through for a good many folks lately. and pea stone is definitely available. Being in georgia i would be willing to bet you drive by lakes ponds and streams and marshes day in day out. Many people expect that nursery plants are safe because they came from a nursery well i know from two water gardens i know most of there plants come from when they go to other ponds and do a clean out. At this point i don't see that you have much to loose to harvest your own plants or place a request here. There are many here that have excess plants of one kind or maybe two.

brc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
It looks like the pond may have no filter at all - or maybe just a really small one? That could be a lot of the problem. The filter-falls idea you mentioned is one that a lot of people use. There are also bigger ones that people build from stock tanks and other plastic containers (like the "Skippy filter").

Since you say the house is a rental, I'm guessing you don't want to make too many permanent modifications? If so, the idea above about using pressure treated lumber + liner to build a bog would also be a good one.

A UV filter can get rid of green water pretty quick, and they don't cost too much. I like them. However, if the pond currently has no bio filter at all (or an undersized one), a whole bunch of dead algae appearing in the water may not be a good thing. You probably want to get that installed / cycled first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome! Nice pond!

Please don't use any algaecides or any other chemicals. If you need to add water and your home water is treated with chlorine, then you'll need a dechlorinizing water conditioner.

You need lots of plants, water movement and probably an aerator.

Plants don't neccesarily need to be called "pond plants", as others have stated. Sometimes they're called pond plants so they can charge you more.

That Tetra flat box filter may not be enough. I used one of those when I had a tiny 300 gallon pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum.

Lots of "land" plants do fine in a pond. Look on line there are a lot of plant vendors that will ship to you

Ask a Question