image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Should I put gravel on the bottom? Sorry for all the posts.. Still learning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Nope, don't put any gravel on the bottom. It just traps poop and other debris, and harder to clean. Good idea making them some hiding spots. They will get more friendly as time goes on, unless something scares them constantly.
I have two pumps in my ponds. One runs my skimmer and whatever I run with the skimmer outlet (pump pulls water through the skimmer, and then sends it out to something else - waterfall in one pond, stream in the other pond), and the other pump is on a milk crate on the bottom, running the bogs. My skimmer pumps are 1600 gph each. The larger pumps are 4200 gph. The main thing about a pump is you want it to circulate your total gallons of water at LEAST once an hour, best if 1.5 times or even 2 times an hour. More circulation is better.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Alice,
If you can I would go for a larger pump and a larger pond than 200 gallons you will find that as time goes by you will think it is too small. The fish will have babies, the pond will seem too small down the road. My 300 gallon tanks is fishless. Full of lotus frogs tads and critters.
But if you want to use the pump you have than stick with around 200 gallons and stock it with very few fish no koi, stick with goldfish. Which in my opinion are very pretty fish.

Ask a Question