New to both ponds and blogs.....Help

Reaction score
Where to begin....Last summer (2012) I dug a hole used a 95 gallon preformed pond added a nice little waterfall, added water and viola, instant pond. I put in a Lilly, a miniture bamboo and a horsetail plant, and 6 snails. Life was great. We wintered the pond by putting a net over it, running a pond heater, and sank all the plants to the bottom. Winter went well. Spring came and water was clear and all looked great. cleaned out the dead leaves and raised the plants, fertalized the lilly and went to the local pond store. Bought another lilly and 6 fish and two tadpoles. The fish died so the store replaced them. Then all but one died. the tadpoles are fine. Put the first group in the pond and then it happened, overnight, GREEN WATER. So I started adding algaefix. and no change then I started adding pond clear, the good bacteria. and no change. Now I'm adding algeafix every three days and pond clear once a week. and no change, Green Water. So now that I have been looking at green water for two months, Im getting discouraged. So I made a polyfil filter system to run with the 8"x8" filter system already in place. And guess what, yes, green water. My ph is 6.8. Going on three months looking at green water ........ HELP anyone? motherboard 013.jpg

Reaction score
:goldfish: I will also post about the green pond and what we are doing, mailmand! Maybe between the two of us, we will get some suggestions. I think you should cut/paste your post to one of the other areas as well instead of just the Introduction area! :pirate2:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to another marylander!

Watch the ph, that may have killed the fish. We are on a well, the well is around 5.5 or so. The pond sits around 7.6, now. I killed fish when I first started up my pond, didn't realize the ph was so low.

Build a mini bog, my pond filtered only by a bog is never green.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like it could be a lack of oxygen in the water .How are the snails doing .If everything dies the you can treat the whole pond with peroxide .Just take the plants out .Wait for it to clear .Sounds like your filter was not working yet .Green water is not really bad for fish just for us viewing the fish .I just treated my 300 gallon stock tank that way to get the filter up and running right I am using filter material from my pond .Changes in temps and rain will turn it green

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my ph stays at 9 and keep it that way with crushed oyster shells and also use activated charcoal
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52796]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I'm on board with the ph needing to be at 7.5 to 8.5, getting towards 6.5 or below could be deadly.

Ask a Question