New to Forum

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I decided that this looks like a nice forum to join and decided to post a few things I have learned about my pond. I live in Germany and have a 6000 liter / 1500 gal goldfish pond I made from rocks I removed from our driveway. I built the pond over a year ago and have fought with algae problems using chemical solutions, barley pellets and even active charcoal. I have added several aquatic plants that are growing fast and reducing sunlight needed for algae to grow. One day my nephew was helping me rearrange the plants I had in the pond and after entering the pond I noticed a small oily film on the water. I immediately had him get out of the pond and discovered that he had sun tan lotion on his legs. I was afraid that my gold fish might die but the next day my algae pond water was crystal clear. I have continued to experiment with adding just a little (3 drops) of sun tan lotion when the pond starts to get dirty and gets crystal clear again. I tried this experiment on my father-in-law pond and his pond cleared up as well, except it might of been fatal to his toad that was living in his pond. I was just wondering if anyone else had any cheap, safe home remedies to help with their ponds. I look forward to learning from this forum and good discussions. Thanks John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
John we've come across human treatments we can use on koi in our time things like Propolis "spray and liquid", another called Orabase "used rectally in humans" but all good for covering wounds on koi .
Weve adapted human things into our koi first aid kit such as cotton buds, sissors, nailclippers (for cutting bone) a floating bath thermometer for us on the pond and many more things .
So we are open to things like this see our first aid kit for things that have been apapted :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/first-aid-kit-for-koi.10492/

However what is in the makup of this sun-tan-lotion as it may well give you the answer as to chemically whats going on .
We are willing to give this a try, whatever it is acts as a flocculant in that it gathers the cloudy particals to itself to be taken away by the filters .
What brand is it please and whats in the ingreadiants listed on the bottle

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
The sun tan lotion German name is LAVOZON 6 Basis Sonnen Milch mit carotin. (milk and carrots). I added three small drops in a jar and mixed with water before adding it to my pond. I will try to add more later as I am heading out the door at this moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Doubt if we can buy that brand in the UK John but will keep an eye out for one thats made woth the milk and carrot as its main ingrediant (y)

Dave

Reaction score
The sun tan lotion German name is LAVOZON 6 Basis Sonnen Milch mit carotin. (milk and carrots). I added three small drops in a jar and mixed with water before adding it to my pond. I will try to add more later as I am heading out the door at this moment.

Here is some more information on this sun tan lotion, other ingredients besides carrots and milk. ;-) I seen no chemical bonding of algae elements as I seen when I used store bought chemicals in the past. I am wondering if the very slight oil film blocks the UV sunrays, blocking algae growth?

Attachments

• IMG_1494.JPG
    IMG_1494.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 210

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
That really isn't the best way to get rid of algae. The best way to get rid of algae is without using any additives. If your pond is balanced with the correct amount of filtration, fish and plants, algae shouldn't be a problem.

Realize that when algae appears, it means something is out of whack. If you just kill off algae, you run the risk of an ammonia spike, something which algae keeps in check.

If you take care of your pond, your pond will take care of the algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF Snodac.That's interesting about the suntan lotion. I'm in the group that doesn't add chemicals to my pond but always wondered what would happen if sunscreen from my arms or legs would do to my fish if I am pulling plants out and may have left sunscreen on.

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome and discussions. I am a newbie with ponds and try to learn for reading forums and only was writing regarding my experiences.

John- I agree with your remark "The best way to get rid of algae is without using any additives" and hopefully one day I will master the pond naturally. I should clarify that the sun tan lotion cleared the GREEN WATER and that I was able to see the bottom of my pond. The bottom of my pond is still aligned with a coat of algae. I am open to any suggestions or help to improve my pond the natural way.

Thanks for the warm welcome,

Reaction score
Welcome to the GPF Snodac.That's interesting about the suntan lotion. I'm in the group that doesn't add chemicals to my pond but always wondered what would happen if sunscreen from my arms or legs would do to my fish if I am pulling plants out and may have left sunscreen on.

I was scared at first that my fish would be harmed, than the next day I found it interesting with the side effects it had on my pond. (clear water)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan

Ask a Question